No quibble return?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by LePomme, Sep 25, 2013.

1. LePomme macrumors newbie

I have recently taken delivery of a new iMac (a few days ago) which I'm very happy with but today I became aware that a new model has just been released which has a better processor, much better graphics and (I think) better WiFi for only £50 more than I paid for the iMac I have just received. Thus it would have considerably more longevity.

On my order page, it says I still have a little while to be able to return the device but I wanted to know if it's a "no quibble" policy. In other words, do I have to come up with some kind of "acceptable" reason or, if I tell Apple that the reason I want to return it is that a better model was released a couple of days later that I'd prefer to pay a little extra for (and so want to place a new order for), will they decline my return?

Also, with regard to the return, I still have the while box that it arrived in with the polystyrene etc but I no longer have the screen protector plastic film. Is this an issue as far as returns go?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. eagandale4114 macrumors 65816

eagandale4114

Talk to an apple rep, as the new models just came out you should be fine to return.

Also I think that there is a 14 day period where in you can take it back no problem.

3. RedReplicant macrumors 6502a

Just take it back, you'll be fine. They'll send the machine back and have it resold as refurbished so don't worry about the screen cover.

4. LePomme, Sep 25, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2013

LePomme thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks - those are reassuring replies. I now just need to make sure the kids don't damage it between now and the weekend!

I presume it would be pushing my luck to ask the store to put the HDD from my current iMac in the new one? I suppose I can try but does anyone have any thoughts on whether or not they might accommodate such a request to save me the effort of reinstalling all my stuff and getting everything configured again?

5. woddy, Sep 25, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2013

woddy macrumors member

Just hook up an preferably empty external drive and let TimeMachine do the magic. When the new iMac arrives, hook up the external drive again and restore everything from the TimeMachine.

Or

Use "SuperDuper" (or something similar like Carbon Copy Cloner) to make a clone of your current iMac on an external drive and clone it back to the new iMac again. There are plenty tutorials available (video & text) for the exact process.

PS: you won't need to buy the full version of SuperDuper. The trial is sufficient, but if it works out for you, consider a donation ;)

PPS: switching disks is not an option, as it involves dismantling the glued glass of the iMac: http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iMac+Intel+27-Inch+EMC+2639+Teardown/17828/1#s52532

6. LePomme thread starter macrumors newbie

Yikes! These things *really* are not built to be taken apart! Thanks again for the tips - I'll look into what you've suggested. :D