NO RAM upgrades??? 2015 MACBOOK PRO

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Windtwist, May 30, 2018.

1. Windtwist macrumors newbie

Windtwist

Were you informed ,at the time of purchase, that you wouldn't be able to upgrade the RAM in your laptop? 2015 MACBOOK PRO. I was not.

please hit me with a yes or no.

thanks

2. jerryk, May 30, 2018
    Last edited: May 30, 2018

jerryk macrumors 601

I knew it long before I purchased the system. I also knew the SSD was not easily expandable. Best to consider all retina (2012 for 15", 2013+ for 13") macbooks to be non-expandable and buy them in the configuration you need.

With a MacBook Pro retina the upgrade path is:

- Remove credit card from wallet.
    - Hand credit card to clerk

3. MacDawg macrumors Core

MacDawg

Did you ask about expandability when you purchased?

4. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

More specifically, were you informed at the time of purchase that you could upgrade the RAM in your 2015 MBP?

If not, it's a moot point.

5. Anarchy99 macrumors 6502a

I wasn't but I knew you weren't able too.
    I did the research before hand a laptop is not a impulse purchase for a reason.

6. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

Apple has not released any RAM-upgradeable laptops for almost 6 years. The only time you can upgrade the RAM is at initial purchase, when you decide which options to include in your order.
    Even replacing the SSD is quite limited; a couple of MBPros have those soldered in place, too.

7. redheeler macrumors 604

redheeler

None of the Retina MacBook Pros have upgradable RAM, Apple opted to make them thinner instead. I knew this even with the original back in 2012.

It helps to do some research before buying any new tech product. There will inevitably be compromises the manufacturer doesn't want to explicitly mention.

8. Audit13 macrumors 68040

Audit13

Like other buyers, I researched ram and SSD upgrades before buying my late 2013 13" and early 2015 air.

9. SRLMJ23 macrumors 68000

SRLMJ23

I have the 2015 MacBook Pro, and I did the research to know it was non-upgradeable except when you order it from Apple. Also, at the time I just knew Apple and figured they would solder everything down except the SSD, which is actually hard to replace on the 2015's.

I have also been a member of MacRumors since 2008, and had been following the soldering news in the forums.

You should always do your good due diligence on something that costs thousands of dollars, and is going to last quite a while.

:apple:

10. s15119 macrumors 68000

s15119

Of course. I consider it my responsibility to find that kind of info before I purchase a computer.

11. jagooch macrumors 6502

jagooch

I know now that I’ve owned several Apple computer that they are difficult or impossible to upgrade .

But when I bought my first one in 2013 I didn’t know and I wasn’t happy about it.
    it’s been tough for me because my computing needs change all of the time so they are difficult to predict.

This has led me to waste a lot if money buying Mac’s and selling them at a loss when my needs change a few months later.

The take away from this is that I always have to buy a computer much more powerful than I currently need , so that if something changes , like I need more power, memory or storage , I’ll be ready for it.

Apple thought this one out well. If you don’t give people the option to upgrade later , people will buy more expensive computers now in case they need the extra oomph later.

This translates is more sales of high end Mac’s and more $$$ for Apple.

Well done Apple, well done.

12. OriginalAppleGuy macrumors 6502a

OriginalAppleGuy

Like others have already said, Apple hasn't made RAM upgradable laptops for a long time. Quite frankly, it does make them more reliable. Direct solder is used in the nuclear industry to ensure reliability. As a consumer, it's critical that you research before you buy products. When it comes to laptops, it's critical to buy the most you can afford at the time you buy for longevity.

13. Clix Pix, May 30, 2018
    Last edited: May 30, 2018

Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    No idea if this is the OP's first Mac, which it very well might be seeing as he is new here.....and I'll bet it is. That makes it all the more surprising that he would not have done some serious investigating before making this not-inexpensive purchase. As others have already pointed out in this thread, it is usually a sensible approach to check things out, ask questions at the time of sale, etc., and most people do take the time to thoroughly look into whatever new system or computer they are about to buy before they even get into the B&M retail store or the online store and are plunking down the cash or putting it on the credit card. It's not as though information were not readily available through many sources, especially on the internet. Really, there is no excuse for not doing some homework before buying a new computer.....

Back in 2005 when I was first beginning to think about a Mac, I spent a LOT of time on the internet (MR was a valuable resource for me!) learning more about the PPC models available at that time and I also made several visits to an Apple store and also another store which also sold Apple products so that I had a couple of hands-on experiences before making the final decision to take the leap from Windows, which I'd been using since WIN 3.1 through WIN XP, to the strange new world of the Mac.....

Oh, and yes, before I purchased the machine upon which I am typing this, a 2015 15" MBP, I analyzed the situation to death before making the final purchase decision; at that time I was making the shift from a 2012 iMac with a dog-slow 1 TB HDD to an MBP with a 512 GB SSD, and I needed to seriously evaluate the pros and cons of that and figure out how I would manage the drop in storage capacity. It took a while but once I had all the information I needed, had tried some experiments and had also figured out a strategy for handling the storage issue, I felt confident in my decision to purchase the 15" 2015 MBP and have never regretted it.

Bottom line: for most of us, the decision to purchase a new computer does require some thought and preliminary investigation.

14. Hater macrumors 6502a

Hater

I was.

So I decided to hold onto my 2012, and see what the 2016 MacBooks bring...

Every year my 2012 gets older, I hold very slight hope for upgradable MBP's but nope.

Unsure what i'll do once this 2012 dies. Hopefully not for another few years yet.

15. Schranke macrumors 6502a

Schranke

Informed yes, by apple no.

Have been following apple news for a long time, and always research expensive things before purchases has limited buyers remorse and bad surprises a lot.
    With the direction apple has taken I also think about long time usage of my device and what I will need.

16. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Its been six years since apple made an upgradeable laptop. It is incumbent on the purchaser to research the product they are buying and make sure it is what they require now and in the future. If they have 15 inch machine it has the maximum ram it can take anyway.

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I chose to be an informed consumer and as such during my research, I found out that in 2012 when I bought my laptop, it did not have upgradeable ram. So yes, I was informed that it was not upgradeable. Not by apple but the responsibility was on me, since I was spending my own money. Even with apple, the old saying buyer beware fits, its your money.

18. Sterkenburg macrumors 6502

Apple is not going to advertise that a machine is not upgradeable at the time of purchase, however such information is certainly not hidden and as a matter of fact a simple Google search reveals an official list of MBP models with accessible ram slots: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201165.

The general point is, doing some research prior to purchasing an expensive piece of tech is a must, and it is the buyer's responsibility.

19. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No company ever advertises what could be perceived as a negative. They promote the positives, lts up to us the consumers to get the full story

20. jagooch macrumors 6502

jagooch

So you have to be able to tell the future? Things can change dramatically overnight, even more so after 6 months, a year etc. Changing jobs, starting a new hobby ( in music editing, video editing, 3d modeling ), changing careers , starting to travel so you need a beefier mobile computer - all of these things can negate all of the research that went into the previous computer purchase.

For example, my current job is not even slightly similar to what I was doing just a month ago. I needed a new computer to be able to do it because I could not upgrade my old one. If your life doesn't change much, then yes, a well-researched computer purchase will probably last you for 3+ years.

21. jerryk macrumors 601

Things do happen that are unforeseen. But, we can only operate on the knowledge we have at the time of purchase, and see if the device we have can adapt to the change.

With Apple notebooks, we know for the immediate future it is most likely they stay focused on thin and light. They will likely continue to limit the max ram to 16GB of low power chips. The RAM and SSD will be soldered on. They are likely to continue to use AMD GPU chips or integrated graphics.

So if your needs are for a workstation with 32 GB, and NVidia graphics to take advantage of CUDA drivers, MBPs will likely not meet your needs.

Now, all of this may be proven wrong in 5 days at WWDC, so stay tuned.

22. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

OP:

MacBook Pro's (with the exception of the non-retina model) have not had "upgradeable RAM" since back around 2013 or so. This is common knowledge amongst Mac buyers. Sorry you may have been misinformed. Not much you're gonna do about it now with a 2015 model.

BUT -- just BE HAPPY that you HAVE "the 2015 model", and not a 2016 or 2017. The more recent design has a very flaky keyboard that has a high incidence of failure, and the repairs (once out-of-warranty) are VERY expensive.

Use that 2015 and be glad you got it!

23. lambertjohn macrumors 6502a

A simple Google search would have told you that before you purchased the system.

24. Hater macrumors 6502a

Hater

Weird, it states the maximum RAM my laptop supports is 8GB.

I've been running 16GB for 5 years now.

25. Macbookprodude macrumors regular

Macbookprodude

The only ram upgradable laptops to 16GB are: 2011-2012 non retina and i AM GOING to hold on to my 2012 since I can't afford the latest and greatest.. plus, with the keyboard issue I am staying away from Apple's new overpriced junk.