Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chodite

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 23, 2007
Baltimore, MD
Amazed at how my iPad is now responsible for 90+% of my online time. I'm doing everything on it.

To everyone else - what % would you say you spend on the iPad vs. your regular PC/Mac?

gwynne

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2010
Desktop is still getting my world of Warcraft raid time, plus my bill paying and banking setup, plus acting as a backend for tv recording. But almost all the rest of online time is on the iPad.

h3nG

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2010
Right now:
75% ipad - 25% pc

I am definitely not as "productive" using the ipad because pages load slower, takes me longer to type things (like respond to this thread). And I hate stumbling on a webpage that REQUIRES flash. ARG!

But I enjoy using the ipad more b/c it's lighter and easier to carry around the house than my laptop.

There are too many things I still use on the PC like Microsoft Money. Torrent. Encoding files. Editing pictures.

klrobinson999

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2008
Still have to use the desktop for syncing, and media storage. I also still pay all my bills and do some shopping on the PC.

ZombiePete

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
San Antonio, TX
My desktop is basically a server as far as I'm concerned; I use it for storing, streaming, andanaging media and other data, but actually sitting down at it and using it almost never happens anymore.

bluehaze013

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2007
Didn't even turn my desktop on for the first 3 or 4 days after I got the iPad but these days I am back to using the desktop 90% of the time when I'm home even for web surfing just because the iPad can't view flash and can't upload pics and other attachments to forums, it just seems like every time I really want to do something I have to go to the desktop.

The iPad is great though for that first 30 mins or so when I jump in bed at night before going to sleep or for using on the toilet :D

Pravda

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2008
Philly
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Have a question, why do you guys use the desktop for web banking? Is it more easier than on the iPad?

CalMin

Contributor
Nov 8, 2007
I'm at about 85% iPad right now. I only use the Mac when I need to do something that I can't do on the iPad.

If I'm honest, it was a bit forced for the first week. But now I'm loving that the iPad is always charged and instantly on. There are some kinks to work out, but this is my go to device for daily tasks.

coelacanth

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2004
Other than work, my Macs aren't used much thanks to the iPad.

Only time I had to use my MacBook Pro at home was when I scanned some photos.

Hoever, iPad is also working great as a companion for the Mac mini media center/server. Desktop Connect is letting me control everything from my couch. I can play pandra through Mac mini to AirTunes, rip DVD, stream movies all from/to iPad. Oh I can use flash contents like custom bag design on timbuk2.com on iPad using VNC'd Mac mini screen as well. iPad is the ultimate weapon for couch potatoes. :p

JohnnyQuest

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2006
70% iPad - 30% MBP

The iPad has made me realize that my MBP isn't entirely necessary. I now have an incredibly portable device and my laptop just collects dust. I plan on getting an iMac when the MBP dies. iMac + iPad = perfection.

AFRet

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2009
Springfield, MO
Amazed at how my iPad is now responsible for 90+% of my online time. I'm doing everything on it.

To everyone else - what % would you say you spend on the iPad vs. your regular PC/Mac?

While I can do many things on the iPad, there are several things that don't port across. I need to run Citrix clients, to get work done on my office system, as well as a local hospital. I have installed the Citrix client software for the iPad, but it's still no-go. Neither one will grant me access to their server using the iPad. Too bad. I'd really like to use the iPad in that way!!

bowlerman625

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Chicago, IL area
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Have a question, why do you guys use the desktop for web banking? Is it more easier than on the iPad?

Would not say it necessarily easier. The people may have Quicken, Money or another program they use that interfaces with their bank. I don't use any program like that so I can bank on my Mac or my iPad or even my iPhone.

H00513R

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2010
Indiana
About 50/50 right now. iMac does Time Machine, bills, heavy surfing and office tasks. The iPad everything else!

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Sep 4, 2006
Right now:

17" Macbook Pro = 20%
iPad = 80%

After honeymoon period:

17" Macbook Pro = 60%
iPad = 40%

I would assume.

Unless I get the keyboard dock on the iPad then it would most likely be:

17" Macbook Pro = 50%
iPad = 50%

:)

rkdiddy

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2008
OC Baby!
I would say:

Mac Mini = 10%
MBP = 50%
iPad = 40%

I keep going back and forth if I should sell my iPad. I love it, but I kind of feel it is more of a toy and something fun to play around with. :rolleyes:

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
At home I'd say it's a 60/40 relationship between my iPad and MacBook pro, respectively. At school or work it's about 100/0 relationship between my MacBook pro and iPad, respectively, but 90/10 between MBP and iPhone.

gwynne

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2010
iPad + desktop = awesome while bored in between Arthas attempts in WoW, no risk of missing ready checks and such while alt tabbed out.

Kibbe17

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2010
Well for me it it is like 98% iPad 2% desktop (syncing) because I already used my iPod touch for almost all of my online needs before the iPad so now it's just natural that I use my ipad for everything Internet. Not to mention I try very hard to justify the $650 spent therefore I do not use the desktop much..

RobT

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2007
Ohio, USA
I was thinking about this earlier myself. Not so much use for the PC anymore. Still need one to activate the iPad and iPhone and sync stuff over. For me I'm thinking of going to a desktop instead of a laptop when the time comes. The desktop is less expensive (iMac vs Macbook Pro 15"), bigger hard drive, bigger screen, etc. With the iPad I just don't need my Mac to be portable anymore.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.