No reason to get an Optibay at this point?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by djkadak, Jul 26, 2012.

1. djkadak macrumors newbie

In the past, SSDs were expensive per GB so most people used an Optibay so HDDs could be used for storage and a small capacity SSD could be used to run the OS and apps. At this point, you could get a 256 GB SSD for a good price, enough for most people to put OS, apps, and a decent chunk of storage. You could use dropbox or an external HDD for remnant storage if you need it (I don't), and you can keep your optical bay. Thoughts?

2. fenderbass146 macrumors 65816

fenderbass146

This is obviuosly true, it is getting to this point, but some people 256 GB still don't cut it. I personally just switched from a 500 GB+64 GB SSD in my optibay to a macbook air with only 128 GB. Thanks to iTunes Match, I am making due, however if I didn't have a desktop pc at home with a 1 TB HDD. I would not be able to survive. I have over 11,000 songs and a 100 full length movies.

3. DOGONO macrumors newbie

I'd be in trouble if I only had the 128 in my MBA. Luckily I found an affordable thunderbolt 1TB drive, so I'm using that for games and whatever else I don't need to have with me 100% of the time.

The neat thing is that this drive registers as SATA to the computer, which means full support for booting. You can boot windows externally with this thing, which you can't do with USB (artificial limitation, I know, still useful though).

4. djkadak thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, so rephrase. For the people like me who have a Macbook for work/class/on the go and then a desktop at home, there's no reason for an Optibay. Just get a 128 - 256 GB SSD and store your stuff elsewhere. My desktop has a 1 TB HDD :D