No reception issues!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by melterx12, Jun 24, 2010.

1. melterx12 macrumors 6502a

Got my iphone 4 and it does not have that antenna short issue!

2. davidwarren macrumors 6502a

3. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

While I am skeptical this is encouraging as I have a replacement on the way.

4. admanimal macrumors 68040

Have you all tried it in many different locations with different signal strengths?

5. xmtgx macrumors regular

No issues here either. 5 bars at all times just like my 3g.

6. tigress666 macrumors 68040

I didn't think mine did either.

You have to try sometimes to get it.

I don't think it is as big an issue as people make it. It's one corner and you can learn to hold it differently and it really does depend on some factors before it will even show up. Like I think the more clammy your hand is the easier it is to get to reproduce. I couldn't get it to do it when my hands were dry but did finally see what my mom was talking about later when my hands were slightly more clammy. In fact now I just hold it normally in my left and it will do it.

I definitely think it's there and I definitely think it's a design flaw. I've gotten to test my roommate's and mine and my mom and her coworker (who live across the country) can easily reproduce it (I can't but I suspect I just have much stronger signal. I can't get it to lose signal but I can get it to go to very few bars).

So, I think it will really show more if you have weaker signal and/or hands that aren't completely dry (maybe even has to have actual sweat rather than just water from washing them).

7. baseballcp2002 macrumors member

i have made a few calls from different locations today and I have had no noticeable issues on call clarity and no dropped calls at all. I switched from my left hand to right hand multiple times during the call and havnt had any issues.

When im just holding the phone (not during a call) i do notice that the reception bars fluctuate when in left hand. But it certainly has not affected the way i use my phone at all so far...

8. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Agreed. I have not had it drop a call or even lose reception over this. Granted, I may just be somewhere that has a stronger signal. Honestly, unless I find it's really affecting my use of the phone, I'll probably grin and bear it and hope maybe Apple has the decency to find a good fix (or at least fix the design for future phones as this would be a huge black eye on them whenever people wanted to compare their phone with what else is out).

It is a tad worrisome when you think you might travel and you might not get as good a signal (but if it is that important, remember not to have your hand on that corner ;) ).

I *do* think Apple should fix it though cause I do think it is important even if it may not affect everyone too badly. Reception on a phone (and don't give me you don't use the phone, you still then at least use the data) is very important. And really one should not *have* to worry about trying to avoid an area that is a natural place to put your hand.

And I don't think telling people to use a bumper cuts it. I dno't want a bumper, they're ugly and they make the phone bigger. The phone should work without it.

9. admanimal macrumors 68040

The fact that your previous phone had full reception at all times suggests that you just have really good reception and probably won't lose any bars even if your signal does drop when you touch the iPhone 4 in the right spot. That's why it is important to test it out in many different locations with different signal strengths before declaring whether you have the issue or not.

10. Jonmurgie macrumors member

Mine is also fine and dandy... none of that yellow gunk either ;)

11. melterx12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

i tried to hold it in many positions and it hasnt budged even for a moment down from 5 bars.

12. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

You guys do realize that you CANNOT go by the number of bars to see if this problem exists or not. The only sure way to see if this problem happens with your phone is to look at the signal strength in dB - which AFAIK cannot be currently accessed on the iPhone4.

Reason I bring this up is because in my house on my iPhone 3G I get a signal strength of -51dB, which equates to full bars. If I had an iPhone 4 starting out at -51dB and covered the antenna, my signal might drop to -70dB, which would still equate to full bars. Thus, I would assume that my phone is problem free.
    But if I start out at -70dB or less (like some people do in areas of weaker reception), and I cover the antenna, it might bring me to -90db or less, enough to watch the bars drop, and possibly even drop the call.

This is why you CANNOT use bars to determine if this issue exists in your phone.

13. admanimal macrumors 68040

In many different positions or many different locations? You need to use it in many different locations (e.g. your house, at work, at the mall, etc.) that ideally have varying signal strengths to begin with before you can make a judgement.

14. krypt17 macrumors member

15. melterx12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

i tried it in many positions, both in my house in various areas and outside my house. (no homo)

I bridged the gaps between the antenna with various keys I have, nothing at all. the signal doesnt even drop from 5 bars (full strength), let alone lose service.

16. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I was getting this issue at home but it's not happening on campus, so clearly it's not ubiquitous.

17. cyclone84 macrumors regular

That's what she said.

18. AustinSTI macrumors 6502

Same for me. Haven't dropped a call yet!

19. krypt17 macrumors member

lmao..

20. nooaah macrumors 68000

nooaah

People, please read this post again before replying about how your phone is fine. The first time you drive to an area with poor reception, you'll be singing a different tune. Sucks that Philadelphia has no support from AT&T, but I don't want to be forced to spend $30 because Apple handicaps my reception even more by just holding the phone.