Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HiDeHo

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
Hi all earlier this year A Friend gave me His old MacBook Pro. its a 13-inch Mid 2012.
This has nice specs 1TB Sata disk and 16GB Ram
The Keyboard has issues where some keys dont work and there is no recovery partition. Here is what I have done.
  1. Keybpoard: Use an External keyboard works ok.
  2. Recovery Partition: I researched how to add a recovery partition, but it seems to require a full reset using another Mac computer connected to this one, which I don't have access to. Phoning a few companies to reset it was a bit pricy.
  3. Old Users: I created my own login and made me admin, but I cant seem to delete the old user and account. and both me and my friend have forgotten the password for it now.
I decided to use it as is and not worry about things. I know without a recovery I cant trouble shoot some things or run system hdd checks etc. I have installed the latest OSX 10.05.6 and keep this up to date.

If anyone has any tips and advice I could try I would be happy to know what you would do to resolve anything.

*EDIT Update*
Here is what I have done now.
  1. Recovery: So I have tried to get into the internet recovery. pressing both Cmd+option+R and Cmd+R using the MBP keyboard (I tested those keys do work) and also an external keyboard., it does not work, just boots into the regular os.
  2. Old User: I managed to remove the old user by deleting the user folder first then I could delete the user from users and groups.
What I now want to know is... If I download a fresh copy of OSX 10.15.X and make a usb to boot it. will reinstalling it also make a recovery partition. How can I boot from USB drive to reinstall, As there is no current recovery partition or internet recovery

Last edited:

clystron

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2011
How can I do internet recovery and set up a SSD and install a new OS without a recovery partition?

Internet recovery does not require a recovery partition but it will take a while depending on your internet-speed. I did this ages ago with my 2007 MacMini, removed the old harddisk, put in an SSD and used internet-recovery to reinstall.

Reactions: Silencio and HiDeHo

HiDeHo

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
Thanks McScooby and clystron for your suggestions. just making a Time Machine backup now then I will look into internet recovery and restore and see if I can get things working.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:

I think you need to do these things, in proper order:

1. Make a backup of things as they are now (which you're doing).

2. Boot to INTERNET recovery:
Command-OPTION-R
You'll need your wifi password, and it will take some time to load. Be patient while you watch "the spinning globe".

3. When you get to the utilities, open Disk Utility first.
Is there a "view" menu?
If there is, choose "show ALL devices" (this step is VERY important)
(If you DON'T SEE an option to "choose all devices", don't worry about it. It's only important if you see it. If it's not there, just move on to step 4)

4. Now, look over on the left. The "top item" is the physical hard drive inside.
We want to ERASE it.

5. Select it and choose erase.
At this point, you need to choose WHICH FILE SYSTEM to use.
We don't know yet what version of the OS internet recovery is offering you.
High Sierra and "earlier" = Mac OS extended with journaling enabled, GUID partition format
Mojave = APFS with GUID partition format.

Let's try Mac OS extended first.
IF THAT DOESN'T work, and the installer comes up in Mojave, you can always "go back" and re-do it.

6. The erase takes only a few moments. When it's done, quit Disk Utility and open the OS installer.

7. Begin "clicking through" with the install. The MacBook may restart one or more times, and the screen may "go black" for a minute or two. BE PATIENT.

8. When the install is done, you should see the setup screen "choose your language". Begin clicking through.

9. When setup assistant asks if you wish to migrate from another drive, connect your backup and give it time to "digest" everything.

10. Setup assistant will present you with a list of choices. I suggest you CHECK CAREFULLY in "accounts". You DO want to migrate YOUR new account.
But.. you probably want to leave "the old accounts" behind. So.. UNCHECK them.

11. When you have setup assistant all set up, let it go. It will take a while to move things over.

12. When done, you should see the account login screen. So... log in and look around. How do things look now?

McScooby

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2005
The Paps of Glenn Close, Scotland.
I'm still not sure what the OP's issue is. If the MB is not iCloud locked then wipe & restore should be ok, but if it's locked by Filevault, I'm not so sure you can wipe the drive and restore from a time machine backup, kinda defeats one of the purposes of Filevault.

I'd suggested another drive such as a SSD, that should things go pear shaped, at least you still hold the data on the drive removed and recognised by the MB. What I wouldn't want to happen is to back up to the time machine, wipe the internal and find that you can't restore as it'll ask for the Filevault password again (which I'm assuming we don't know).

If using iCloud (drive for files, photos, contacts & music) I'd prob go down that route rather than time machine.

Maybe someone can verify what I'm thinking, but I can't help think that this all seems too easy & it's been a while since I've done it myself.

HiDeHo

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
Any SATA Drive like this one would do it. That’s the Sammy, but crucial, Kingston, sandisk etc are all ok. It really depends what size u go for.
Ok thanks I have these options.
  1. Smaller SSD: an optical bay hdd converter for the current 1TB HDD and an external case for the optical DVD then the os would run smooth and fast and most data will go on the 1TB hdd.
  2. Bigger SSD: and external HDD case for the 1TB HDD use as a backup.
  3. Old HDD: I have several Old Hdd from old laptops so can run a test and see if internet.recovery will work.
Do I need any special screw drivers to undo a MacBook Pro Mid 2012.

McScooby

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2005
I can't answer what's the best drive for you to go for that's your decision. I got a Sammy 1TB Pro & kept the CD drive, but that was years ago. Remember Catalina is the last you can upgrade to and will only be supported for a few years. For replacing the drive & screwdrivers, watch this -

HiDeHo

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
I can't answer what's the best drive for you to go for that's your decision. I got a Sammy 1TB Pro & kept the CD drive, but that was years ago. Remember Catalina is the last you can upgrade to and will only be supported for a few years. For replacing the drive & screwdrivers, watch this -
Thanks man great ideas... I can see that I need a mini Philips and T6 Star/Torq screwdriver. Now I am thinking.
1. Keep Current HDD: As I have several old HDD, from Old Laptops, I will try a test with one. If that works I can then reinstall everything to the current 1TB with recovery partition.
2. Cheap small SSD: A cheap small SSD like a 128gb for $30nzd. or 256GB for $60nzd. Use that and Keep the 1TB for external use or use an opti-bay converter. I dont often use CD/DVD though that is nice to have.

Thats all I really need then I will Keep this up to date as long as I can. After that I will just use it as is. I like using OSX, Garageband, iMovie, etc. Will stay a a good DAW to make music.
I may also dual boot with a Linux OS and have that incase.|

With my specks, 2.5 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5, 6GB Ram do you think a SSD will make that much difference to the running ofd this old MBP?

McScooby

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2005
Thanks man great ideas... I can see that I need a mini Philips and T6 Star/Torq screwdriver. Now I am thinking.
1. Keep Current HDD: As I have several old HDD, from Old Laptops, I will try a test with one. If that works I can then reinstall everything to the current 1TB with recovery partition.
2. Cheap small SSD: A cheap small SSD like a 128gb for $30nzd. or 256GB for $60nzd. Use that and Keep the 1TB for external use or use an opti-bay converter. I dont often use CD/DVD though that is nice to have.

Thats all I really need then I will Keep this up to date as long as I can. After that I will just use it as is. I like using OSX, Garageband, iMovie, etc. Will stay a a good DAW to make music.
I may also dual boot with a Linux OS and have that incase.|

With my specks, 2.5 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5, 6GB Ram do you think a SSD will make that much difference to the running ofd this old MBP?

Hardly old, it's the one I'm using & when did upgrade to a SSD 7 years ago, I'd wished I'd done it sooner. If I do upgrade to Catalina this year, get another year of sec updates out of it. All depends how long you plan to use it for. As for a DAW, I'd be guessing the Apple Silicon models (even the base) are going to be beastly compared to the 2012.

Again, all depends how fussy you are, if you have any hardware that needs an older OS & the extent you plan to use the DAW. If you get a smaller internal 256-512GB, you always have the option of buying an larger USB3 external and booting from that. Not ideal for a laptop, but at least it gives u an option. You could use the MB for the recording and drop the files into a new MB for processing.

Oh, and I dumped 16GB Ram into it, debatable if it's helped any, always best to have too much though.

HiDeHo

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
oops I just noted I did accidentally say 6GB ram when I have 16GB

Ok so here is what I have done now
  1. Recovery: So I have tried to get into the internet recovery. pressing both Cmd+option+R and Cmd+R using the MBP keyboard (I tested those keys do work) and also an external keyboard., it does not work, just boots into the regular os.
  2. Old User: I managed to remove the old user by deleting the user folder first then I could delete the user from users and groups.
What I now want to know is... If I download a fresh copy of OSX 10.15.X and make a usb to boot it. will reinstalling it also make a recovery partition. How can I boot from USB drive to reinstall, As there is no current recovery partition or internet recovery

McScooby

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2005
oops I just noted I did accidentally say 6GB ram when I have 16GB

Ok so here is what I have done now

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.