No Refurbs! Is this indicative of.....

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by coolcorgi, Apr 16, 2007.

1. coolcorgi macrumors newbie

I've never seen such a lack of refurbs on Apple's site. No Macbooks, Macbook Pro's, Mini's, etc. What's up? Is this "indicative" of some imminent product change or update? Can some intelligence be derived from this situation of lack?

With Macs being generally good, reliable machines; perhaps fewer are breaking. Apple's popularity has certainly increased, generating far greater and more rapid sales. Despite the reliability factor, it would seem that with the increased # of units being sold, there should still be a steady supply of returns!? I waited till the keynote in January at Macworld, then for a Leopard release. I'm now ready to pull the pin on grenade.

2. bartelby macrumors Core

No. It just means they haven't added more products to the refurb store yet.

3. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

Refurbs and actual new Macs are completely unrelated. If someone isn't happy with their Mac, or for some other reason, it ends up on the refurb store. It's first come, first serve.

4. coolcorgi thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks bartebly, but do you mean more "new" or "refurbed" products?

5. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

As I said, new and refurbished products are unrelated. Apple doesn't put up a bunch of unopened, never touched Macs on the refurb section right before they release something. The Clearance section of the Special Deals section is for when they do that, like with the AirPort Extremes.

6. coolcorgi thread starter macrumors newbie

iMac Zealot - I would have to respectfully disagree with you.

There has to be a correlation. Refurbs "come" from new macs. Without new macs, there would be no refurbs. More new macs = more returns = more refurbs.

7. bartelby macrumors Core

Er, I mean they haven't updated the refurb store with refurb products.

8. coolcorgi thread starter macrumors newbie

iMacZealot - I see what you're saying. However, if something new was in the works, would they not stop making the old to produce and rev up the new? There would have to be a "change over" period that would create a vacumn - no new(old product) sales = no refurbs.

9. bartelby macrumors Core

When the Intel iMacs were released there were still G5 iMacs in the refurb store. Refurbs could be a computer that's had several problems and eventually got sent back to Apple. That could be up to 3 years later.
    It could also find it's way on to the refurb store.

10. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

You might want to check again on Tuesday, because they seem to restock the refurbished store every Tuesday. Last week the exact same thing happened.

11. bartelby macrumors Core

There was a time when the Refurb store was only open on a Wednesday.

12. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

That's why I said they seem to update it on Tuesdays, because I have only looked at the refurbished store the last couple of weeks because I'm going to get a Mac Mini soon.

13. thebill macrumors member

Baaaaaaackkkkkk!!!!!!

So I've been watching the Refurb store on & off for 3 years, just not much since Christmas. The pattern I see is many new listings on Fri. AM, as if preparing for weekend shoppers. Even that pattern is not consistent.
    Also AM is better than PM.
    As I check this Tue AM the Refurbs are BAAAAAAAAACKKKKKK!!!!!!!
    You just gotta keep checking & checking.

From Refurb Store: 12" Powerbook, 17" G5 iMac, 24" C2D iMac, multiple iPods & Nanos. All excellent shape (like new), none have needed AppleCare fixes, & the 24" came with more ram & TWICE the Graphics Card as advertised! HOT GOLLY!

14. kwood macrumors 6502a

kwood

I am pretty sure I see this same exact thread topic every Monday and Tuesday. It's shortly followed by "Oh....its back up and full" on Tuesdays after about 8 o'clock.

Just an observation:)

15. PharmD macrumors 6502

On that note, I just checked and it is back up and full. :D

16. civilizedrat macrumors regular

HAHA! That's so true.

And I just bought, yay!

17. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

Yes, it is, EVERY SINGLE WEEK.

Where's the "bang my head against a brick wall" smiley icon??

I'm not exactly an inventory control expert, but I've been around the block a few times when it comes to business and I don't see how people can read anything about new products into the absence of stock in the refurb store. If the current products are still on sale, but new ones are coming, don't you think they'd be moving their backstock to refurb in order to clear it out, resulting in more refurbs? I doubt they do that either though, and the ebb and flow of products in the refurb store means nothing. STOP POSTING THESE DAMN THREADS EVERY WEEK.

18. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

I think there is a period of when they start making new Macs, but the Macs on the refurbished pages are ones that have been purchased by people and had a problem with them or something, so they sent them back to Apple, who replaces any bad parts, cleans them, repackages them, and puts the computer on sale on the Refurbished page.

But, if Apple releases, for example, an all-new iMac (!!!!), any previous generation models that're unopened will find their way to the Clearance Page, not the Refurbished page. They, too, will also get an ample discount.

19. SteveG4Cube macrumors 6502

My local Apple store has "factory refreshed" Macs on a little table by the checkout counter now. ;)

20. jayeskreezy macrumors 65816

but are they the same ones as the site?

21. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

I would say a lack of refurb. means Apple is making better quality products!!:D

I imagine they do it once a week at the most as I imagine they collect inventory over the period of a week or two and then do the refurb and inventory them to post all at one time. They wouldn't take the time to put each and every one they have ready on there at separate times...