No Release Mode?

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by mysticwater, Feb 26, 2011.

1. mysticwater macrumors newbie

Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone has encountered the same problem and if someone can help me out...

I finished coding a c++ application using xcode. I have written the plist file and all other necessary files. Now I want to change the build mode to release so that the app can be a standalone app and does not have to be compiled in Xcode every-time for it to run.

I figured that to do this I have to change the build mode from debug to release however, I have searched everywhere for the release mode option. It doesn't show up! I only see the debug mode field everywhere and there are no other options...

Any thoughts or solutions?

2. jiminaus macrumors 65816

jiminaus

It should be in the left-most pop-up menu of the main window toolbar.

If it's not there, it can be recreated by going into Project | Edit Project Settings. Then in the Configurations tab, duplicating the current (Debug?) configuration and customising.

There's not that much difference between these two configurations. The release configuration builds fat binary for PPC, x86 and x86_64 architectures, turns on optimisations and inhibits the production of the debug symbols.

There may be a few more differences. You check them out by creating a new project, and comparing the two configurations under the Build tab after Project | Edit Project Settings.

BTW A debug build isn't intrinsically tied to XCode. It could be freely run outside of XCode. It just wouldn't be optimised code.

Attached Files:

3. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I had that same problem OP! Unfortunately I can't remember what I did in order to fix it :(

4. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

In XCode 3.1.2, it can be found in the Project menu, down a ways, under the "Set Active Build Configuration". Or you can pull down the Customize Toolbar sheet and drag the "Active Build Configuration" item onto the toolbar.