No remote for Apple TV 2

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by DmbShn41, Sep 10, 2016.

1. DmbShn41 macrumors 6502

So I found my old Apple TV in the closet, and want to set it up for my daughters to watch Netflix kids. My last attempt with this Apple TV was to jailbreak it, to no luck. It still has original software on it when it shipped. I gave the remote away last year when I got rid of Apple TV 3 when I got a ATV4. The ATV2 has fresh software, no Home Sharing on it currently. I don't have an old remote. I can't use it with the original Remote app on iOS. Any ideas how to use it, short of buying a replacement remote? I've tried:

-plugging ATV3 into router, and using Remote app on iOS. Doesn't work as I believe the ATV3 has to have been setup with Home Sharing prior.
    -tried using new Siri remote on it. Wont work as I'm not able to access menu functions to train a new remote.
    -searching all the couch cushions for the old remote.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks~

2. mikzn macrumors 6502

mikzn

do you have any remotes from older apple macbook (white remote) they should work.

3. DmbShn41 thread starter macrumors 6502

4. waw74 macrumors 68030

check any smart remotes you have, a lot of times your TV, cable box, or others will have the codes for apple.

i think the siri remote only sends IR for TV control (power, volume) so the navigation won't work anyway.

you say both 2 & 3, which is it? (2 is 720 and model MC572LL, 3 is 1080 and MD199BZ or MD199LL)

if it's the 3, you can connect it to your computer with a USB cable, and using iTunes reset it to factory (instructions)
    once you plug it back in at your TV, you can set it up and enable homesharing by holding your phone close to the aTV

5. afd macrumors 6502a

6. DmbShn41 thread starter macrumors 6502

Apologies, I sold off an ATV3, and the remote with it. I currently have an ATV2 that I am trying to repurpose.

7. afd macrumors 6502a

Tried this today and it does work. You have to install their app on your Mac, restore or reset Apple TV in iTunes after connecting with micro USB then connect to your TV and Power up. You get a paying request on your Mac then app can control your Apple TV. Then you can get Apple TV to learn an old DVD remote. Looks like the CiderTV app emulates a bluetooth keyboard so you could probably reset Apple TV with iTunes then use a bluetooth keyboard to pair then control Apple TV.

8. Caliber26 macrumors 68000

Caliber26

I can confirm that this works! You'll just need to hookup your ATV to your Mac via USB. I had an ATV2 that I reset to factory settings and couldn't get the remote to work and this solved my issue. Thanks for sharing!