No Replacement for Swollen Battery

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by genoot, Nov 23, 2009.

1. genoot macrumors newbie

Several posts mention Apple's refusal to repair swollen batteries.
    I'm still so surprised they do not consider replacing a part which is clearly not without risk.

Our research lab has 8 MBP's; 3 of them had swollen batteries after little more then 1 year. Each time, the battery kept on swelling after it was taken out. Two times, Applecare replaced the battery, but only after long chats where they had to be convinced that it didn't look normal.

Now, Apple refuses to replace the battery because it is out of warranty (16 months old - 334 cycles). This time I do not have Applecare but a 3 year contract with the shop. Apples tells me to go the shop (their only officiea repair center in the region).
    The shop is not able to obtain a battery from Apple either, although the shop says it is clearly a manufactuing issue.

I understand lithium batteries can explode and burn at some point.
    I do not understand Apple is just ignoring this problem which seems to happen so frequently.

Attached Files:

2. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

I can't understand this. A swelling battery is a defect in manufacturing and a huge risk if something were to happen. I am surprised that Apple does not replace all of these regardless of the age.

3. harperjones99 macrumors 6502

A sternly worded letter from an attorney would likely get those replaced. I cant see Apple wanting to go into the "dangerous to life and limb" lawsuit.

4. Nano2k macrumors regular

Well 16 months and 334 cycles is not so bad for a Lipo battery, it's not like it was broken after a month or 10 cycles. I can understand that they wont replace it easily.
    Almost all Lipo batteries swell to a certain extent before dying out.

5. eMagine macrumors regular

eMagine

i'm glad a solution is on the way. ITRI in Taiwan has developed a nanotech solution called STOBA. Apple has already been in contact with ITRI and is going to be implementing this technology into future batteries.
    http://www.itri.org.tw/stoba/news_e_eureka.htm
    http://www.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idUSTRE5AA4ZS20091111

6. Nano2k macrumors regular

It seems it can lower the fire hazard but I don't think it helps for the swelling. With heat the cells start swelling around 60°C. Fire (explosion) usually happens with overcharge or puncturing the cell's cover.

Great development though I can imagine it will eat up volume and lower the capacity for a similarly sized cells.