Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PimpIntInxs

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
Bought a MBA (1799) version 2 weeks ago to the day! (May 27th). Rolled up to Penatagon City Mall (northern virginia), thinking after hearing everyone crying in these forums how people should have to pay you got what you paid for, whatever you all are tools.

APPLE employees are incredible nice! the dude didnt even think twice just went to the back asked his manager came back and said yeahhh noooo problem! brought out my new MB air 2.13 (b/c it is just so much cheaper than what it used to be) I paid 1699 for it (100 for school discount - i go to medical school i think i should get 200 discount but thats another story). The dude didnt even open up the AIR i was returning he was pretty nice. and now ive got a new MUCH better computer than i used to have... ultimately saved almost $1000 bucks.... OLD one was 2599 I paid 1699.... thats 900 bones.

There is a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow my friends. Also FYI, they had the products in the back but they did not have models out for display.... so all of their old info was out on the floor with old pricing and old units you just had to know about the new computers in order to get them.

GO to pentagon city if you can its the best. Ask for Tony or Doug.

Oh and im writing this in the macbook pro area because it'll be helpful for people who bought a macbook pro and want to return it for a new one (more people than the air - the air is just too highclass haha)

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
There is no restocking fee within the first 14 days. You returned it on the 14th day, unless your two weeks are longer than the rest of ours for some reason. They usually waive that fee for up to 30 days if you are actually exchanging for a different system (in my experience and those of friends).

image.php

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Yeah, Apple managers have the ability to waive the restock fee. It's cool that they did that for you! Just remember that they bent their policy for you (which they tend to do a lot more following new releases), ... I would never tell someone that Apple "doesn't have a restock fee".

$100 is the education discount for the higher end 13" MacBook, all Airs, and the lower 15" Pro. $200 is the discount on the higher end 15" MacBook Pro, and 17" MacBook Pro.

There is no restocking fee within the first 14 days.
... unless it's opened. If opened, it's subject to the restock fee. Like you, when upgrading, I've seen that fee waived a bit. Just depends on the manager.

uberamd

macrumors 68030
May 26, 2009
Minnesota
There is no restocking fee within the first 14 days. You returned it on the 14th day, unless your two weeks are longer than the rest of ours for some reason. They usually waive that fee for up to 30 days if you are actually exchanging for a different system (in my experience and those of friends).

image.php

Maybe he thinks weeks are only 5 days long? Maybe. But what do we know, we are all tools.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Bought a MBA (1799) version 2 weeks ago to the day! (May 27th). Rolled up to Penatagon City Mall (northern virginia), thinking after hearing everyone crying in these forums how people should have to pay you got what you paid for, whatever you all are tools.

You purchased a new computer less than 2 weeks before a major Apple event and you're calling us tools?

Ok. :rolleyes: Enjoy your new machine.

PS: No need to double post. Thread(s) reported.

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Britain
Apple were under no obligation to swap the machine. They did so because they have the best consumer customer support within the industry, not arguable. You got lucky. You bought a computer 2 weeks before the largest Apple event of the year, whilst it was heavily due for an update, didn't check return periods, restocking fees etc. And yet we're the tools? If you came into my store you would be so lucky.

Enjoy your machine, it's a beauty.

thombo

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2009
I ordered and received a new Macbook last week, only to learn this week of the new upgrades. I work right near the Pentagon City Apple store, so I went straight over there to talk to them about what my return/exchange options were. Basically they told me that because I ordered online with iWork preinstalled, I'd have to coordinate everything over the phone. They also said that even though it was within 14 days, I would be charged the 10% restocking fee (though considering the reduced price and added features, it wasn't a big deal for me).

So, I called up and talked to a lady who also told me there would be a 10% restocking fee and that I'd have to pay to ship it back, but at the time I called the website hadn't yet been updated so the new Macbook pros weren't available yet. I had to call back.

When I did call back later (after waiting on hold for 1+ hour), I coordinated the entire exchange (including transfering the rebates and applecare), and there was absolutely no mention of the restocking fee.... so saved $130+ there for some reason (luck? policy that others didn't know about?). Plus they sent me a prepaid return shipping label, so I got free 2day fedex shipping for the return.

Currently waiting for the new comp to come in the mail, but I'm very very pleased with how Apple handled my exchange (especially considering the only reason I had to exchange was I wanted more for less money...)

Maybe he thinks weeks are only 5 days long? Maybe. But what do we know, we are all tools.

ericvmazzone

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2008
Kalamazoo, MI
Wow we are tools because why? Also why do you feel that you deserve a double education discount because you CHOOSE to pursue a medical degree? :confused: Entitlement? Sure, then Apple should provide all COMBAT VETERANS a free 17" MBP fully loaded. Because I KNOW they are much more deserving than you. :rolleyes:

Really I'm glad they were willing and able to help you out, and good luck with your studies.

PimpIntInxs

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
0o-o0-o-0o-0o everyone so touchy.... by tools i was referring to the numerous threads of people berating others who had bought their apple macbook air/pro whatever within the past month and telling them THEY GOT WHAT THEY PAID FOR AND just going pretty nuts on them saying there is no way apple should waive the restocking fee because its not like these people got a defective machine and what not. They were pretty intense and I was happy to see that apple employees are incredible nicer than these mean spirited people.

PimpIntInxs

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
ohh and though its no excuse i didnt know about the apple conference thing. this is my first apple and i love it!

.... no comment on "what passes for a medical student these days" :rolleyes:

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Yes, about the double discount. Rest assured you are not the only one on these boards in med school, when you graduate you won't be the only one on these boards that is a doctor or carries a PhD of some sorts, nor are you the only one who has gone or is going to school to obtain a second degree. The discount is whatever the discount is, I used it for 6 years and enjoyed it while I could but I don't think I ever said "oh I'm in grad school I should get a bigger discount!" Actually, I think I was hoping that I could pay my student loan debt off before my 80th birthday.

But really OP, it's not that people are touchy, it is that you just came off as arrogant (perhaps not intended but with the double discount bit), rude (calling everyone tools), and uninformed (buying before a very well known conference that is publicized in places that are specific to Apple Computer and not specific to the company itself).

I am going to go with this, if you had time to create two posts on this site today then you had time to research before you purchased. You obviously knew that the restock fee was an issue for some (shows you did at least google), signed up for a forum (shows you had 2 minutes), posted a thread twice in two very well thought out sub-forums (shows you at least understand the point of sub-forums), you must have had time to google five minutes before you purchased to see if maybe there was something around the corner.

Either way, no harm no foul. This tool is glad you weren't stuck with the restock fee. It should have resulted in one less thread ... albeit, we got two more threads but who is counting anyway? ;)

It would be prudent later on in life if you didn't refer to people as tools for stating opinions in response to other people's opinions. It's bad bedside manner. :)

PimpIntInxs

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
appreciate the advice... then again "going to grad school" for say... being a nurse, your mph?, even pharmacy (which is also 4 years) is not the same as going to medical school (which has a price tag over 4 years of $200,000). and its an MD not a PhD... a big difference seeing as medical school acceptance rates hover between 1 - 3 percent. but i appreciate your banter thanks.

oh and the reason i posted it on both forums, is because i did do a lot of googling/forum hunting after i realized there was a new/cheaper version of the MBA and a lot of people didn't think it necessary to even bother going to apple stores to try and exchange their laptops because of the response they were getting from veteran members like yourself. And i wanted as many people to know that it is worth while to go out there and at least try it, because there are at some positive stories.

oh and as far as the double discount... i wasnt referring to the debt of student loans for the reason. If you are going to give students a discount for excelling in education then someone who is excelling far beyond that should get a greater discount.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
appreciate the advice... then again "going to grad school" for say... being a nurse, your mph?, even pharmacy (which is also 4 years) is not the same as going to medical school (which has a price tag over 4 years of $200,000). and its an MD not a PhD... a big difference seeing as medical school acceptance rates hover between 1 - 3 percent. but i appreciate your banter thanks.

oh and the reason i posted it on both forums, is because i did do a lot of googling/forum hunting after i realized there was a new/cheaper version of the MBA and a lot of people didn't think it necessary to even bother going to apple stores to try and exchange their laptops because of the response they were getting from veteran members like yourself. And i wanted as many people to know that it is worth while to go out there and at least try it, because there are at some positive stories.

oh and as far as the double discount... i wasnt referring to the debt of student loans for the reason. If you are going to give students a discount for excelling in education then someone who is excelling far beyond that should get a greater discount.
Oh and are you seriously going to wax poetics about going to med school? Your reward for going to med school is your degree my friend. Oh and once you figure that one out you'll be less inclined to wear the entitlement hat. If I were you I would refrain from assuming anything around here, that includes my schooling and anything else. ;) My points were more fact than typical banter. You've yet to be blessed with my banter. :)

Oh and enjoy med school, we need more people like you to become doctors. Oh and I am truly impressed that you got into med school.
:cool:

Balthezor

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2008
PA
I'm also a medical student and not every med student is as immature or arrogant like the OP. Thank goodness.

OP: Just be happy with the discount and don't bring up educational backgrounds of people here, saying we deserve more because we pay more to go to med school. Seriously, nobody cares, its a Mac forums man. Your not even a doctor yet and you already act like your better than everyone else out there.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I'm also a medical student and not every med student is as immature or arrogant like the OP. Thank goodness.

OP: Just be happy with the discount and don't bring up educational backgrounds of people here, saying we deserve more because we pay more to go to med school. Seriously, nobody cares, its a Mac forums man.

I know you're not all like that. Trust me, I've been there and done that enough to not assume that's the norm. Discounts in no way correlate to the cost of your education. If they did then most of my computers would have been free. I am quite happy with the discount I got and the completion of my education. I didn't get a parade or anything and I guess that's what some people expect.

The only point of this post (outside attention) is to tell people that the restock fee can be waived. Unfortunately the point he tried to make is lost in all the rest of the gubbly guck.

Balthezor

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2008
PA
I know you're not all like that. Trust me, I've been there and done that enough to not assume that's the norm. Discounts in no way correlate to the cost of your education. If they did then most of my computers would have been free. I am quite happy with the discount I got and the completion of my education. I didn't get a parade or anything and I guess that's what some people expect.

The only point of this post (outside attention) is to tell people that the restock fee can be waived. Unfortunately the point he tried to make is lost in all the rest of the gubbly guck.

Agreed. Well said.

Music_Producer

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2004
OooooOOOooOOO I graduated from med school, have my own business, and produce music with one of my songs in the top 5 on iTunes (under 'electronica') What what!!! what what!!!

Seriously OP, drop your attitude and try to practice some humility. Great that you got into med school.. now let's see if you can graduate. ;)

RyanJL

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2009
OooooOOOooOOO I graduated from med school, have my own business, and produce music with one of my songs in the top 5 on iTunes (under 'electronica') What what!!! what what!!!

Seriously OP, drop your attitude and try to practice some humility. Great that you got into med school.. now let's see if you can graduate. ;)

Dr. Dre?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.