No restocking fee anymore !

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by NStocks, Aug 6, 2008.

1. NStocks macrumors 65816

I have just being chatting to a Apple supervisor ( via online chat ), and mentioned I will be buying an iMac, but didn't want to miss out on the iPod Touch offer if it came out. He said you can take the iMac back, and make the order again then you will be able to get the free iPod. I heard that they are scrapping the restocking fee, but didn't think it happened - is this old news ? The 14 day period still applies though, but still...

NStocks

2. kjs862 macrumors 65816

kjs862

Wow, great news, but I'll believe it when I see it.

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

This is not a change in policy. All he is saying is that if they change the offer, they will allow you to return the unit and re-buy it and a touch on the same invoice so you're eligible for promotion. I've heard of this being done before.

4. NStocks thread starter macrumors 65816

True, but I got the message that they have scrapped the whole 10% restocking fee altogether( fair point about ' I belive it when I see it'. I was reading in a PC magazine the other month something about Apple charging this and that it's not allowed, maybe that influenced it ? The sales Rep also said he is in the returns department or something, and he know about all the different aspects of this kind of thing.

So do you think it is slightly safer to buy the iMac at the end of this month, hoping the offer will come out very early in sepepmber? And if that did happen, what would i need to do - just give Apple a call, or have to travel back to the store for a refund/resell ?

NStocks

5. sn00pie macrumors 6502a

sn00pie

That's only if the new products are released within 14 days of your purchase, correct?

I wouldn't worry about iMacs getting updated, they're fairly new to the market. (They were updated in April 08') If your looking at a notebook, then expect an update for sure in the next month or two.

6. NStocks thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah, well not new products, just the promotion ' Free iPod with Mac purchase'. Again I got the impression they have scrapped the whole restocking fee concept, but we will have to wait and see.

NStocks

7. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

The no restocking fee only applies if you bring the opened computer back, and rebuy the opened computer with the ipod. It's for the SPECIFIC CASE ONLY.

They are NOT going to give you a new computer with no restocking fee.

Someone might be missing the logic train...

8. McScooby macrumors 6502

I've bought

a refurbed macbook within the last couple of weeks, price was too good to miss, although it was 4:20am and on a bit of an impulse buy.

Anyways, after a couple of hours I was kicking myself as I thought I should've plumped up an extra £60 & got a dvd burner and called apple store to enquire about returning said model, Apple rep said no probs, if I didn't like it to return, even when I prompted her about restocking and opened box, the reply was doesn't matter no cost to return, no restocking even if opened.

I kinda thought this sounded odd based on apple's previous policy, so ended up consoling myself with a 500GB hard drive and 4Gb of Ram & keeping it, after all same base spec as an air.

So in reply to OP, sounds about right!

9. NStocks thread starter macrumors 65816

I know, and I wouldn't expect then to give me a new computer unless there was something wrong with it. Would I have to take the whole lotback to the store, I'm guessing yes because they will need to put it through their system.

NStocks

10. mpw Guest

I wasn't aware there was a re-stocking fee in the UK

11. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Same here - normal practice in the USA however it seems - I returned a MacBook because they brought out the Santa Rosa model the day after I purchased and returned it with no restocking fee and no charge for carriage for the return or the replacement machine. This was all through Apple UK HE store.

But I have seen restocking fees printed on Apple US receipts......

12. iSlave macrumors 6502

Have a look at the returns policy on the Apple UK site. It refers to having to pay transportation charges in section 7.2 B, and refers you to 7.2 D for the actual charges. Only, section 7.2 D isn't there anymore.