No restore discs for Macbook Pro 2011?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pennyboy24, Apr 29, 2012.

1. pennyboy24 macrumors newbie

Hey all,
    I recently bought a early 2011 Macbook Pro & i realized there was no CD's to restore or to reinstall Lion
    If God forbid my Macbook were to crash [Which i know it wont]- how on earth would i reiinstall Lion to it? :confused:

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. dlimes13 macrumors 6502a

dlimes13

Mac OS X Lion uses a recovery partition, instead of discs.

4. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

See here :
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4718

The recovery partition (or the firmware if that's not available) will connect to Apples servers and install the latest version of OS X Lion.

5. LachlanH macrumors regular

I wonder if apple would ever consider adding say an 8gb flash chip to the motherboards that was read only and contained the OS install media. Would be handy for those who have crap internet, as a recovery partition is no use if the hard drive itself is dead.

6. heeby, Apr 29, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2012

heeby macrumors member

7. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

ROM is a dead end these days, it would be out of date and insecure 2-3 months after shipping.

They currently already ship 64-256gb flash chips containing the OS in the MBA.... (I know that's not what you were implying, but...)

8. LachlanH macrumors regular

This is no different to the situation with physical install DVD's. If they had the bulk of the OS on a ROM chip, they could then have an internet connection required for the 'final setup' part where it could bring down all the updates. Downloading 800mb worth of updates is better than downloading 4gb of Operating system.

To be fair though, I do really like Apples idea of having the firmware contain base drivers and an ability to download the OS to a clean HDD, I just feel this would be made more efficient by having the bulk of the OS stored locally within the machine, via a non rewritable memory chip.

Infact, what about this idea? To keep the install media up to date, whenever Apple releases an update for your OS, it could also update the OS chip on your motherboard, so that even if your whole hard drive dies, you reinstall media/chip is already up to date and ready to install the latest version.

9. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Medic278

When I upgraded to an SSD I used lion internet recovery and have to say the process was pretty painless and was pretty fast. I kind of like not having restore disks, I would probably loose them I made a Lion boot USB drive that I keep on my key ring just in case I need.