Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ashok0

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2010
If you're sitting at an apporpriate distance from a 27" iMac, you can't see the pixels.

Nope. If Apple releases a Retina 27", I'm totally give them my money. :)

Macsorbecks

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2012
I think the next iMac will be 4K resolution, so 4096x2160 or 4096x2304 in resolution, so we can edit and monitor video from cameras such as, RED, Sony FS-700, F65, Canon C 500 etc. FCP X supports 4K too.

I agree, a 4K iMac makes perfect sense for a number of reasons:

- Ivy Bridge and Kepler already support 4K video.
- 1080P video playback is easy, no scaling necessary, just pixel-doubling.
- will be a unique selling point.
- 4K video can already be transmitted over DP and HDMI.

However, as 4K content and cameras are still quite rare Apple might decide to postpone the 4K iMac to next year.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
I hope they loose the optical drive and solder ram and hd to the mainboard to make it incredibly thin. Throwing computers away if something breaks is just so hip and trendy. You think it will be thin enough to slice bread and cheese?

why would anyone "throw away" a rMBP if something breaks? if the CPU fails you get the CPU replaced. if the RAM fails you have it replaced. if the entire logic board fails you have that replaced. if the battery wears out you have that replaced.

not seeing where "throw away" comes in. subscribe to tech blog hysteria, much?

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
The display on my 21" iMac is awesome. I'm sure retina would look even better, but IMO this is already an area of strength for the iMac.

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Jul 4, 2004
It would be helpful to know whether it's going to be an 'update' or a new generation of iMacs.

The kind of changes people are hoping for are more related to a new generation of iMacs. That can't be too far away though, I think the iMac has become the desktop model most people associate with Apple. It's certainly the most visible Apple desktop.

travistaylor

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2006
Not too surprising information. I'm fine without retina in the iMacs. Honestly, the 27" is already crystal clear to me- even using one in the Apple Store at a relatively close distance.

All I want is a basic bump in the base-line specs. That way I don't feel like an idiot for buying a 2011 iMac just a few weeks/months before a refresh hits.

That said, I would love a re-design- however, as someone else mentioned, sometimes a Rev A design is a bad idea....Eh, if I wait and decide that I don't want to go for a Rev A (if there's a redesign)...I'll save some cash and get the previous model :)

I will just use my 2007 MacBook Pro (that must be plugged into the wall because its battery is toast...) for now. I'll live.

Starship77

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2006
I agree, a 4K iMac makes perfect sense for a number of reasons:

- Ivy Bridge and Kepler already support 4K video.
- 1080P video playback is easy, no scaling necessary, just pixel-doubling.
- will be a unique selling point.
- 4K video can already be transmitted over DP and HDMI.

However, as 4K content and cameras are still quite rare Apple might decide to postpone the 4K iMac to next year.

Exactly! Of course a 5K (5120x2880 or "retina" 2560x1440 x2) would be great, but it's impractical now… GPUs and standards like HDMI or even DisplayPort don't fully support it.

So, why not take a step back to be able to take 2 steps forward? I mean, make it doubled 2048x1152 and you'll get 4096x2304! That's perfect for 4K playback and all the 4K standards already available…

And I agree, we're probably not gonna see it in the next revision. Maybe in the one after it, so 2013, being optimistic. ;)

eucsstamticc

macrumors member
May 4, 2010
Texas
either way I am buying the new iMac. Signs are pointing to a release with Mountain Lion.

Irregardless as to whats in it I am getting a fully spec'd iMac.

:apple:

javor

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2012
Exactly! Of course a 5K (5120x2880 or "retina" 2560x1440 x2) would be great, but it's impractical now… GPUs and standards like HDMI or even DisplayPort don't fully support it.

So, why not take a step back to be able to take 2 steps forward? I mean, make it doubled 2048x1152 and you'll get 4096x2304! That's perfect for 4K playback and all the 4K standards already available…

And I agree, we're probably not gonna see it in the next revision. Maybe in the one after it, so 2013, being optimistic. ;)

I agree, but they already introduced it in their Pro line of Laptops...let's hope the iMac follows with the next refresh and soon. :)

goldenglory18

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2012
History suggests 13" retina pro's will land sometime this fall.

See, this is why I have had such a hard time getting on board and finally taking the leap of faith with the larger (more expensive) Apple products. As soon as I get ready to purchase a "new" product of theirs (13" MBP w/Ivy Bridge) I read about the 13" line getting the retina upgrade in a few months.

Based off some recent posts, it sounds like the Pro lineup (as well as the iMac and others) may be getting ready for a significant shake up. Retina display addition requires a lot of hardware changes, especially in the laptops i.e. a larger battery changing the layout of the mother board and internal components. I also vaguely remember reading that the Retina screens were allowing the overall design of products to be thinner and in turn, changing how many ports and external options were designed. If all of that is true, then why would anyone buy the current models when such a shakeup is just around the corner?

Lastly, I admittedly went into my local best buy store looking to purchase a reasonably equipped, highly upgradeable HP that fit my needs to a 'T' but thanks to my beautiful wife and my inability to ignore the Apple aura, I'm now SERIOUSLY interested in a 13" Pro. The price is right at $1200, but you can bet I would blow a gasket if in four months a significantly redesigned version came out at the same price. Do we really feel that if the Retina display and subsequent changes hit the 13" Pro line, it's going to be in the $1200 - $1500 range? Same thing goes for the iMac, how much change in price is worth the technology?

I want to invest in Apple/Mac, but things like this is what leads me to pay 50% less on something that I can knowingly predict will be outdated in 12-18 months.....

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
I'm hoping the new iMacs come out with Mountain Lion. I've had MacBook Pros for 5 years now and I'm pretty much going to an iMac. Getting a desktop class Ivy Bridge processor and 27" does it for me. Especially since Apple decided to off my 17" MBP preference. 15" is just too small for my taste. Retina 27" would be marvelous but probably too much to hope for. So I'll settle for just a good update.

iMac, Ivy Bridge 4 core (or higher), 16GB memory, SSD for me...

HurtinMinorKey

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2012
Who needs more resolution, 4K movies aren't really available yet. For editing photos? Please. Any visual artists would be better served by a better monitor, with more faithful reproduction of color at the current resolution (2560 x 1440).

To get more resolution and better color, you're talking astronomical prices.

SSDGUY

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2009
Get new glasses.

Many are saying you can't see the pixels at a "normal" distance from current non-retina displays. I disagree. With my new glasses, and sitting 24" away, I can easily see the pixels on my 30" ACD, and not just around the edges of type, but actually in the white area. I think many have grown up looking at 72dpi computer monitors for so long they forget what a clear and truly sharp (not anti-aliased or artificially sharpened) image looks like. Similarly, many say the human ear can't distinguish digital sample rate improvements higher than 16 bit. Not true. The human ear (and eye) can pick up way more than we think. I say as long as performance doesn't suffer adversely, give us displays with as high a resolution as possible. How wonderful it will be to have large displays with type and image sharper and more natural than quality photo prints. Bring it on!

Litany

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2012
This is one of those "No Chit" articles. A 27" retina display would add over $2000 to the price just for the cost of the panel alone without Apple's profit markup. Would you pay $5000 for an iMac?

RebelScum

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2007
Toronto
Who's editing 4k video even on (what is assumed will be) an Ivy Bridge quad-core iMac?

I have the i7 and LOVE it, and while I can work in Premiere at 1080p and edit 2gb PSB files with 100+ layers without batting an eye, I doubt I would be able to work on 4k RED files without getting all the way frustrated.

What really makes sense, to me at least, is to create a 27" retina cinema display for editors who need a 4k space, and spec out the MacPro to match.

Leave the display in the iMac as it is for the Rest Of Us. :p

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Hmm, well I guess Apple may have shot themselves in the foot with this one? Retina resolution is easier on a 15" screen. But I guess with the 27" you get problems with yields to just trying to build such a high res screen.

But they'll do it I'm more then sure, and I would also be sure to power the screen will be a beast of a GPU and CPU too in a redesigned case. I won't even bother with release date speculation..

NAG

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2003
/usr/local/apps/nag
Who needs more resolution, 4K movies aren't really available yet. For editing photos? Please. Any visual artists would be better served by a better monitor, with more faithful reproduction of color at the current resolution (2560 x 1440).

To get more resolution and better color, you're talking astronomical prices.

A few years ago SSDs had insane price points. Now we're to the point where basically everyone should go SSD or SSD hard drive combo.

Who needs more than 128 kb memory?

Seriously, the argument of "who needs" really needs to be put to rest for good. It is basically "I'm right, nah nah nah".

HurtinMinorKey

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2012
A few years ago SSDs had insane price points. Now we're to the point where basically everyone should go SSD or SSD hard drive combo.

Who needs more than 128 kb memory?

Seriously, the argument of "who needs" really needs to be put to rest for good. It is basically "I'm right, nah nah nah".

Sure, 5 years from now it might be practical, but we're talking about the next iMac release here buddy. And right now, better color is more practical (and more useful for most pros) than more resolution.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.