No Retina? No problem!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by sportsfrk214, Mar 22, 2011.

1. sportsfrk214 macrumors 6502a

Okay maybe not no problem...how about almost no problem.

I've had a 4th generation iPod Touch since the day it was released in September, and in the 6 months I've owned it, I've absolutely been spoiled by the Retina Display. It's absolutely gorgeous. So when the iPad 2 was announced without a Retina Display (as expected), I was a bit worried because so many iPhone 4 and iPod Touch 4 owners complained how their iPad displays just didn't hold up. Well after a week and a half with my iPad 2, I can honestly say that the lack of a Retina screen is almost a non issue for me.

First of all, anyone who says that holding it further away from you makes no difference is wrong. I do hold my iPad further away from my eyes than my Touch, and it definitely makes a difference. The screen appears very sharp. Second, the biggest need for a Retina display is when viewing text, which I do primarily in Safari. I usually use Safari in landscape mode, and I very rarely need to zoom to read text.

I could talk about this for paragraphs, but the bottom line is that I do not mind the lack of Retina Display at all. Now, that is not to say I wouldn't want one...there is no doubt things would look better with a Retina Display, and I'm sure than when a side-by-side comparison is done with the iPad 2 and a future iPad with the display, the iPad 2 will look mediocre. But right now, I think the screen is absolutely beautiful and it was better than many people made it out to be. There are without a doubt times when I can see that the screen would benefit from the extra pixels. But for what the device is, I think the display is wonderful and I have no problems with it, and I'm glad I didn't hold out for an iPad with a Retina Display.

Anyone else pleased with the iPad's screen? Like I said, I would have no problem with more pixels, I'm simply saying that the screen as is is very good.

2. Peanut207 macrumors 6502

Peanut207

I agree. I think the display is beautiful and this is coming from an iphone 4 owner. It's human nature I guess to want something better no matter how slight it is. If the "retina" display wasn't around, it wouldn't even be an issue.

3. jw nyc macrumors 6502a

I can't speak to the iPad 2 b/c I don't have one (yet) but the original iPad screen is awful after for reading after using my iPhone 4 for an extended period of time. Text looks extremely pixelated and hard on the eyes. Granted, most of the time I'm not using my iPad right after my iPhone 4, but the times I do it is DEFINITELY noticeable.

4. SoybeanStasher macrumors regular

I definitely enjoy my iPad 2, but it is pixelated. The Kindle, for example, has slightly higher pixel density (167 vs. iPad's 132) and it definitely makes reading easier on the eyes (in addition to the inherent benefits e-ink gives you).

That said, in the absence of iPhone/iPod touch 4, we wouldn't have real-world examples of the glory of laser printer-like dpi counts on LCD. It's Apple's fault that they've got us coveting this stuff. Next time, perhaps.