Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scorcher

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 26, 2017
So I'm debating between the m3 and the i5 model.
I usually get the higher end stock model, just for a bit of future proofing.
The only problem is that there are no reviews of the i5 model. All the reviews are for the m3 stock model.
I've looked over the forum and some benchmark tests. the difference seems to be insignificant. So I ask you, is there a good reason to get the i5 model over the m3 model (except more ssd)?
and are there any reviews of the i5 model out there?

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Apple has only been sending out the m3 for review this year. I think that's a testament to its speed.

Reactions: psymac

psymac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
There may not be much difference CPU performance, but I bought it on the off chance that the larger hard drive might be faster as it was for 2016, and future proof for better resale value with the larger hard drive size.

Jester_

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2017
There may not be much difference CPU performance, but I bought it on the off chance that the larger hard drive might be faster as it was for 2016, and future proof for better resale value with the larger hard drive size.

Is the 512gb ssd faster than the 256gb ssd? And why did you opt for the i5, is it that much better than the i3?

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
The 256 GB model is already fast. Don't worry about the speed. It is over 1.1 GB/s write and over 1.5 GB/s read. That's faster than the 2016 512 GB drive, and faster than 99% of the consumer SSDs out there.

Reactions: EedyBeedyBeeps

Kilgrave

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2017
Apple has only been sending out the m3 for review this year. I think that's a testament to its speed.

Agreed, when the 2016 model was released Apple pretty much exclusively sent out the m5 for review. Which suggests they weren't necessarily that happy with the m3 performance. This year it seems that they've pretty much exclusively sent out the m3, which means they're happy for it to represent the brand.

Qu1ckset

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2013
Toronto, Canada
Can you do a geekbench 4 64 bit single core and multi core CPU test?

My trial of Geekbench 4.1
First Run: 3901 Single-Core / 7359 Multi-Core
https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/3123003

Second Run: 3922 Single-Core / 7324 Multi-Core
https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/3123065

I read that there may not be much difference between the m3 and i5. Can you tell me why did you buy the i5?

Since my build i5/8gb/512gb wasn't a BTO I was able to walk into the Apple Store and buy it before everyones ship dates. Personally I never buy base models, and I was actually contemplating the i7 as the increased clock speed of the i7 and i5 help with the iGPU a bit netting better gaming performance.

Only reason I didn't get the i7/16gb BTO is because if a 10nm Cannon Lake model releases next year with big performance upgrades especially in the iGPU department and Thunderbolt 3, I will day one buy a maxed out one and either sell my current 2017 or pass it on to a family member.

Reactions: Graham Perks

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Agreed, when the 2016 model was released Apple pretty much exclusively sent out the m5 for review. Which suggests they weren't necessarily that happy with the m3 performance. This year it seems that they've pretty much exclusively sent out the m3, which means they're happy for it to represent the brand.
Intel really boosted the top speed of the m3 for Kaby Lake vs Skylake. The jump for the m5/i5 wasn't as much.

Scorcher

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 26, 2017
Just a quick update.
I ended up getting the M3 base model (2017) and I love it.
Its fast and powerful enough for my uses.
I honestly don't think I would benefit from the i5 upgrade (plus I save a bit of money)
Thanks for everyone's help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.