No right click in XP - 17 Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Igotmacqs, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Igotmacqs macrumors member

I have a new 17 MBP and love it so far with some small probs. Under Boot Camp running XP, there is no right click (alt click is a no-go as well) on the touchpad. Right click works fine on the mouse and under Mac OS, but...

Anyone else?

2. NickM macrumors 6502

I am also Boot Camping XP.
    In order to right-click in XP, you should have two fingers planted on the track pad, then click with a third finger.
    I don't remember how I figured that out... but it works.

If anyone knows a simple way to right-click in XP, please post it here.
    In OS X I'm simply using the lower-right corner of the trackpad to right-click.

3. MikhailT macrumors 601

Did you install the drivers from the bootcamp cd?

4. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Hah, it's a weird thing. In Boot Camp preference pane in Control Panel, it clearly says two-fingers but in order to get secondary clicking, three fingers is needed, hah. There is no fix that I'm aware of and updating the Boot Camp drivers 2.1 or if you're installing using the unibody install disc doesn't help the problem I find.

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Write to apple bug reports or apple.com/feedback

6. Igotmacqs thread starter macrumors member

Wow, thanks. That is almost unusable, huh? I am unintendedly scrolling and losing the options, etc.

Yes, I have installed the bootcamp drivers. The trackpad fix that was supposed to correct this will not install on the new 17. If you go to Apple updates, it will find the update for the track pad, and will act like it has installed it, but try again after reboot, and the update is still there.

I have spent almost 3 hours with tech support on the phone, and they have supposedly communicated this to engineering, but as of yet, no fix.

Thanks for letting me know it is not just me:D

7. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I don't think it's a big deal, instead of 2 fingers, you have to use 3.

8. MikhailT macrumors 601

Is that sarcasm?

It is a big deal, you're not suppose to change how people use their fingers on macs and pcs. Muscle memory is an important factor to consider.

9. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Nope, if you feel it's a problem that's fine, state the complaint. I don't see how using a third finger to scroll or right-click something is a problem since I'm already using the 3 and 4 finger gestures in OS X anyway so it's an easy adjustment for me and I'm just speaking for myself.

10. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

The big deal is that you have to keep two fingers perfectly still while clicking the button with a third finger. If you move either of your fingers the tiniest bit, either the mouse will move (possibly off of the object you're trying to click on), or the window will scroll. And the scroll implementation is so fast and jumpy it's almost completely unusable.

It's widely known that Apple's trackpad drivers for Windows are complete garbage. I always use Fusion or plug in an external mouse when using boot camp.

11. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Wow maybe I'm just use to it. Secondary clicking in Windows is the exact same way as secondary clicking in OS X but instead of 2 you're trapping the trackpad with 3 fingers at once. Guess it's personal preference, learned and used to the gestures in OS X, I just translate or move over to XP.

12. Igotmacqs thread starter macrumors member

Are you using the new 17?

13. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

No, Late-2008 15". Something different in the 17" that's not in 15"?:confused:

14. Igotmacqs thread starter macrumors member

Yes (well, at least supposedly yes, according to Apple tech support). The 17 will not accept the patch that fixes some odd Windows trackpad behaviors. I agree with you that a 3 finger tap would be no problem, but in some instances, it is very buggy seeming. For example: a 3 finger click on the desktop works perfectly, but a 3 finger click on selected text is about a 1 in 3 venture. Not a technique issue, I promise.

A lower right click option would be so nice, but enabling the patch for this new machine would probably suffice.

15. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

16. jagr200 macrumors member

Wow you must really have a hard time in life. I have no problem at all using 3 fingers to right click in Windows XP on my MPB. Any windows mouse or even the Mac mouse works. But again I dont have any issues.

17. MacKid6693 macrumors newbie

No right click in XP - 17 Macbook Pro

thats the 1 thing i hate about using WXP on My Mac. I Never Figured out how to riight click. but now i know. Hah

18. Igotmacqs thread starter macrumors member

A manual install of the bottom (Windows) patch fails. The error message reads that it is not intended for this computer.

Apple software update (in windows) finds the same patch and acts like it is intalling it, asks for a reboot, and makes no note of installation failure. But, running Apple software update again after reboot finds the same patch. Apple needs to update the patch to allow installation on the new 17.

I would guess it is a older model or a 15. This is not user error. It is a bug (one that will drive you to near madness if you have 8 hours on a plane and 100 Outlook email to get through).

19. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I can see how frustration can set especially since Apple mouse/keyboard isn't really optimized for Windows. If you're in Windows, suggest you find the keyboard shortcuts - as I find to be much easier than using the trackpad.
    (ex. to delete, fn+delete button rather than right clicking and selecting delete)