no right click on desktop

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by steezy1337, Jun 21, 2010.

1. steezy1337 macrumors 6502

hi, i've been having a problem with my iMac that i just noticed recently. when i click on the desktop it used to make the finder my active application and would let me right click for the context menu with add folder etc. but i noticed the other day that it no longer does this. i don't know if i've disabled it somehow or if there's some kind of bug/glitch going on, if anyone know how to fix this it'd be appreciated.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Which specific Mac and exact Mac OS X version are you running?

What mouse do you use?

I assume you can right click everywhere else, including Finder windows?

Have you taken a look at System Preferences > (Keyboard &) Mouse and seen if something is disabled?

Have you tried repairing permissions via Disk Utility yet?

Has a restart helped?

3. steezy1337 thread starter macrumors 6502

Which specific Mac and exact Mac OS X version are you running? 10.6.4 but i've had this problem for it while

What mouse do you use? using an Magic Mouse

I assume you can right click everywhere else, including Finder windows? yep right click works fine everywhere other than on the actual desktop

Have you taken a look at System Preferences > (Keyboard &) Mouse and seen if something is disabled? just had a quick look now, couldn't see anything that seemed to show that right clicking the desktop was disabled

Have you tried repairing permissions via Disk Utility yet? i'm just trying this one as we speak

Has a restart helped? i've restarted numerous times but it's never seemed to fix the problem