Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

torres22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2012
There is no ringtones folder in my Itunes so I can't upload any songs to use for ringtones for my Iphone 4 S. I went to edit and preferences and there is no "ringtones" option to check.

ObuckiO

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2011
Ohio
There is no ringtones folder in my Itunes so I can't upload any songs to use for ringtones for my Iphone 4 S. I went to edit and preferences and there is no "ringtones" option to check.

I believe you have to get one first for "Tones" to pop up (app ringtone), which you still won't be able to use itunes music after by just uploading song or dragging it.// OR, i know you can make your own in GarageBand. <(use itunes library for that)
BTW, I used a free app called "Ring.Tones'' before using GB, and it was kinda of a hassle with e-mailing it and syncing, but if you don't have GB, that's an idea.

Last edited:

swordfish5736

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2007
Cesspool
You have to have ringtones in order for them to show up in iTunes. The way I used to make them which I havent done in awhile is pick your song. Make sure it is in .m4a format. Copy it to your desktop, open it in QuickTime cut it down below 30 seconds I usually do 28 or 29 to be safe. Save it is as an .m4a file. Ten change the extension on the file from .m4a to .m4r. Drag it into iTunes and voila a ringtones folder should appear with your newly made ringtone. There may be easier ways to do this now but that's how I've always done it. I used to have an Automator script to do it for me but not sure where I put it.

torres22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2012
I tried making that ringtone and dragging it but nothing happened. Still no ringtones folder.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.