Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Whats the matter with macBookPro rumors, all we hear from November is the new macpros arriving bla bla bla. What might be the next step for the new macbookPros, a xeon portable cpu? What does intel say about portables?

Im on the edge of buying one but im kinda holding on for Leopard, should i be?

Retired
May 16, 2006
What do you mean?

LED backlighting, h.264 encoding/decoding chip...are these not good enough for you?

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
What do you mean?

LED backlighting, h.264 encoding/decoding chip...are these not good enough for you?

Well the LED backlighting was rumored for MacBooks and not MBPros right? And afterall i dont know if LED really intrests us pros. Perhaps it might intrest as far as power consumption is concerned!

As for the 264 encoding/decoding chip, whats that, and what good will it serve a graphic designers job?

Personally i was looking for more of a "pro" cpu chip. I mean the Core2Duo is fine but will it run dv editing apps, like the Pro desktop configurations have spoiled us in doing so? I guess im looking for a xeon chip on a laptop, utopic huh? :D

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
Well the LED backlighting was rumored for MacBooks and not MBPros right? And afterall i dont know if LED really intrests us pros. Perhaps it might intrest as far as power consumption is concerned!

As for the 264 encoding/decoding chip, whats that, and what good will it serve a graphic designers job?

Personally i was looking for more of a "pro" cpu chip. I mean the Core2Duo is fine but will it run dv editing apps, like the Pro desktop configurations have spoiled us in doing so? I guess im looking for a xeon chip on a laptop, utopic huh? :D

The Xeon and Core 2 Duo are based off the exact same chip but targeted at different markets.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
The Xeon and Core 2 Duo are based off the exact same chip but targeted at different markets.
So why dont they put in the MBpros a chip thats targeted towards the same market, i mean the MBPro is targeted for pros afterall why put in the Pro laptops an inferior chip?

pknz

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2005
NZ
So why dont they put in the MBpros a chip thats targeted towards the same market, i mean the MBPro is targeted for pros afterall why put in the Pro laptops an inferior chip?

One is a server chip, and the other is a mobile chip.

Techguy172

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2007
Ontario Canada

Because theres no xeon for laptops not to mention no motherboard designed for laptops either.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
is the santa rosa mb that will be released for Xeon chips?

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark

Because the Xeon chips have a Thermal Design Power of 65 Watt (80 Watt for the 3.0Ghz model though) and the Core 2 Duo mobile has a Thermal Design Power of 35 Watt. They also don't share the same socket, so the chips are not interchangeable.

The chips are being speed- and voltage binned for each market segment.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
They will be using 2nd generation C2D chips.
To OP: Apple must be working on a new design and that's why is so quiet right now.
On a new design? Wow now that seems strange, the MBPro hasnt reached a years life yet!

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
So what would you advise me to do regarding the MacBookPro? Should i wait for the new ver, is there anything coming worth the wait ot not?
What really shock me this morning, was the fire caused by batterie faults in the MB series https://www.macrumors.com/2007/03/12/macbook-battery-fire/
should i also wait for any new revisions of those too?

You will first be able to buy the next revision of the MacBook Pro when Intel releases its Centrino Pro platform. Road maps show Intel releasing it in May.

Do you need a computer now or is it just a luxury thing? ;)

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
You will first be able to buy the next revision of the MacBook Pro when Intel releases its Centrino Pro platform. Road maps show Intel releasing it in May.
Do you need a computer now or is it just a luxury thing? ;)

No no luxury, im a graphic designer and ive been waiting for a Mac since the Intel transition announcement. I was thinking at first to get a MacPro but the mobility of a laptop is very intreaging, so im focused on a MBPro at the moment but i dunno if its worth waiting.. what? 1-2more months, or more cause im in Europe!

deputy_doofy

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2002
I'm not sure there's anything overly exciting about the next revision of the MBP.
G4 -> CD == exciting
CD -> C2D == exciting
C2D -> C2D (with minor enhancements) == not as exciting, but still nice

dvader

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2007
I'm not sure there's anything overly exciting about the next revision of the MBP.
G4 -> CD == exciting
CD -> C2D == exciting

I like complicated things made simple.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Haha I can just see it, an Apple notebook that is 6" thick and has a battery life of about 20 minutes. ROCK ON!
To be honest, i wouldnt mind on the 6" part and as for battery, well i never use batteries, i always have my laptop pluged in cause the screen dimness really annoys me! :D
Anyone else feeling the same? :D

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
G4 -> CD == exciting
CD -> C2D == exciting

I agree with this. I knew about Santa Rosa when I bought my iMac, and you can look at this way

C2D -> C2D (with minor enhancments) is nowhere near as exciting as
C2D (with minor enhancments) -> Penryn

I don't want Santa Rosa, well I mean it is not worth the patheticly long wait and Penryn was too far in the future so this Mac is the best deal for me.

zblaxberg

Jan 22, 2007
Haha I can just see it, an Apple notebook that is 6" thick and has a battery life of about 20 minutes. ROCK ON!

or we can just get rid of the screen, make it a 1inch/1inch/1inch cube and call it the macbook shuffle

dvader

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2007
I agree with this. I knew about Santa Rosa when I bought my iMac, and you can look at this way

I don't want Santa Rosa, well I mean it is not worth the patheticly long wait and Penryn was too far in the future so this Mac is the best deal for me.
Do you think Penryn will sport the Robson flash or do you think it will be a regular Intel chip with the flash tech integrated into the HDD (i.e. hybrid flash drive) rather than on the motherboard like the way Santa Rosa does?

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005

I didnt get the Penryn part, what is Penryn and why do u believe that the best deal is the C2D MBPro?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.