No rush to purchase...buy now or wait til July?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by juiceman311, May 10, 2007.

  1. juiceman311 macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 10, 2007
    #1
    I'm ready to purchase a Black MacBook. This will be my official switch over to Apple, and I'm excited (although I can honestly say that I have never had any bad experiences with my current windows based machine). Anyways, are there any changes anticipated to the black macbooks between now and July? I'm in no rush to purchase it, but if nothing is anticipated to change, I may just go ahead and get it now. And by change, I mean anything that will lower the price of the current configurations.

    Thanks
     
  2. Shotgun OS macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Dec 18, 2006
    Location:
    Ohio
    #2
    Santa Rosa machines are rumored to be coming out very, very soon, which would lower the price of the Black Macbook. It won't be that significant of a price drop, maybe 100-300$.
    If you don't need it, wait. If you need it, get it now.

    Thats just my opinion.
     
  3. lamina macrumors 68000

    lamina

    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2006
    Location:
    Niagara
    #3
    Wait if you can. I'd even want to wait past the first Santa Rosa machines to see how they are as far as heat management and quality control. Remember the Rev A MacBook Pros?

    I would normally say buy it now if you need it, but this whole Santa Rosa NAND and possible LED backlighting sounds extraordinarily sexy to me.

    There are rumors of the MacBook Pro line being updated a while before the MacBook line. Just rumor of course.
     
  4. juiceman311 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 10, 2007
    #4
    I have no clue...I only started considering a Mac a couple of weeks ago...enlighten me
     
  5. Shotgun OS macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Dec 18, 2006
    Location:
    Ohio
    #5

    Problems include mooing sounds, some overheating, flickering/failing screens, and some flaw with the logic board, I think.
    Just a suggestion: Don't buy Rev A's. Ever.
     
  6. epochblue macrumors 68000

    epochblue

    Joined:
    Aug 12, 2005
    Location:
    Nashville, TN
    #6
    It always makes me smile that people are so concerned with when they should buy a Mac.

    My typical advice, as was also said by a poster above: if you need it now, buy it now. If you don't need it now, wait and see what happens at the next major Apple event.

    There's never any harm in purchasing a Mac, no matter when you do it, IMO ;)
     
  7. juiceman311 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 10, 2007
    #7
    there is no concern on my part. i said im in no rush; i came here to see if there are any major announcements or anything that should hold me off from purchasing, or if nothing major is planned and my purchase timing wont matter. i figured those who post on mac forums know more about it than i do, since my mac knowledge is: there are 3 macbook models, and 3 macbook pro models. macs run on os x. macs can load windows via bootcamp.
     
  8. lamina macrumors 68000

    lamina

    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2006
    Location:
    Niagara
    #8
    Something major is planned. Read about it here.

    Like I said before, buy if you need it now, but there's a major revision coming up, so if you can wait till June or even July (or even September if you're a student, you will get a free iPod)... you're better off.

    Look at me, I didn't wait to get my 17" Apple laptop and I got a 17" G4 PowerBook about 7 months before the 17" MacBook Pro was released (if my calculations are correct)... and that machine is a whole lot faster processor-wise.
     
  9. dmaxdmax macrumors 6502

    dmaxdmax

    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2006
    #9
    Dave's First Law

    If you need it, buy it.
    If you want it, wait.
     
  10. kwood macrumors 6502a

    kwood

    Joined:
    Jun 26, 2006
    Location:
    In the Great White North.
    #10
    Why do you think they will be $100-$300 cheaper? Where did you read that? It would be nice, where did that information come from?
     
  11. richard4339 macrumors 6502a

    richard4339

    Joined:
    Sep 6, 2006
    Location:
    Illinois
    #11
    Here's the deal, speaking with averages. On average, Apple has released MacBook updates several months behind MacBook Pro updates. Both the MacBook Pro and MacBook are due for updates. Most people assume that the new MacBook Pro will come out sometime in June or July, which means it is not unlikely that the new MacBook will not come out until July or August.

    This is all speculation, and I've been wrong plenty of times before... but I doubt you'll see a new revision by July for the MacBook.

    So, back to the same comment that everyone is making, if you need it now, buy it. Don't get caught up into the waiting game that so many people get into. "Well, I've waited a year now for the new Mac... what's 2 more months?"

    He's probably referring to refurbs of the current lineup.
     
  12. Shotgun OS macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Dec 18, 2006
    Location:
    Ohio
    #12
    You don't think the current version of the C2D Macbook would decrease in price when the new Santa Rosa ones come out? I was stating the fact that when the new ones come out, the current line will drop in price. I would buy a current version of the blackbook at a reduced price over the new SR ones, to be honest.
     
  13. kwood macrumors 6502a

    kwood

    Joined:
    Jun 26, 2006
    Location:
    In the Great White North.
    #13
    Ok...I understand what you are saying now. I thought you meant that when Santa Rosa comes out that the new ones would be cheaper. Yes the refurbs will diffidently drop in price.
     
  14. Dynamyk macrumors 6502a

    Dynamyk

    Joined:
    Jul 8, 2005
    Location:
    Toronto
    #14
    With the WWDC' coming up, hold off a couple months, I think it'll be well worth the wait.
     
  15. 2hondas macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 10, 2007
    Location:
    Ontario, Canada
    #15
    I am in the EXACT situation as you! I have been doing research now and buy in August/September.

    About this "Rev A" stuff... You mean the first wave of MB and MBP with the Santa Rosa? There might be bugs and such with hardware?
     
  16. juiceman311 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 10, 2007
    #16
    Thanks for the input all. I'm just going to hold off til mid-June or July. I start school on Aug 2nd, and I'd like to to get it at least 2 or 3 weeks before that to familiarize myself with OS X.

    Maybe I'll call Apple and see if they can give me a deal? Can't hurt.
     

Share This Page