Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

betabeta

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 28, 2013
What about other basic questions, especially science and historical information, like dates, who built, how old is, when was, etc.

Anyone find out more about what Siri can actually do? No safari so Google searches are out, could have been useful for quick questions.

I don't mind not having safari since looking at a site would be insane, but questions answered from the web or Wikipedia would be very very useful, right?

Still not clear on Siri capability.

Gen1 blues:D

Runt888

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2008
No one really knows what Siri will be able to do beyond the few examples we've seen.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Yes, Safari won't work on that small screen. This is a clear sign that the Watch will not replace the phone soon.

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
What about other basic questions, especially science and historical information, like dates, who built, how old is, when was, etc.

Anyone find out more about what Siri can actually do? No safari so Google searches are out, could have been useful for quick questions.

I don't mind not having safari since looking at a site would be insane, but questions answered from the web or Wikipedia would be very very useful, right?

Still not clear on Siri capability.

Gen1 blues:D

I’m guessing Wikipedia could be a source for Siri — just with a much shorter excerpt/summary.

DC Wallaby

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2014
Wouldn't Siri just be pulling from your iPhone, anyway? I mean, if you tell Siri to give you directions someplace (a use case specifically mentioned on the Apple Watch Built-In Apps page), the Watch itself doesn't have the capability to do that. Siri has to draw that information from your phone's GPS and feed it to the watch.

Why would it be any different for web-based information queries?

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
Wouldn't Siri just be pulling from your iPhone, anyway? I mean, if you tell Siri to give you directions someplace (a use case specifically mentioned on the Apple Watch Built-In Apps page), the Watch itself doesn't have the capability to do that. Siri has to draw that information from your phone's GPS and feed it to the watch.

Why would it be any different for web-based information queries?

Actually displaying them on such a tiny screen is the issue.

DC Wallaby

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2014
Isn't that the issue with ANY Siri-based response?

I mean, if it shows email and text messages, I'm sure it can show a condensed version of Siri's results OR give you audio-only feedback to your query.

betabeta

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 28, 2013
I’m guessing Wikipedia could be a source for Siri — just with a much shorter excerpt/summary.

That would be a great, I sure hope so:)

I have just never seen anyone in a hands on video ask Siri on the watch basic questions, like How many ounces is 321 grams, or when was the Eiffel tower constructed, or even quick math questions. That is going to be great if we can, I use Siri for questions all the time.

vigilant

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
Nashville, TN
No Google Search with Siri I would expect not.

Siri does thoroughly use Bing though by default. I can see a situation where doing a query that brings up Bing results would offer the option to do a handoff to the paired phone.

Guessing though.

Bing doesn't suck as much anymore. I've been using it almost exclusively since iOS 8 and I rarely fall back to Google.

rhyme

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2013
No Google Search with Siri I would expect not.

Siri does thoroughly use Bing though by default. I can see a situation where doing a query that brings up Bing results would offer the option to do a handoff to the paired phone.

Guessing though.

Bing doesn't suck as much anymore. I've been using it almost exclusively since iOS 8 and I rarely fall back to Google.

I expect Siri to be fully functional on the Watch and agree than handoff to phone would be the best way to handle search results (whether from Google or Bing). I hope Apple has implemented it!

I usually ask Siri to "Google whatever" when I want to run a search, so my results tend to be from Google.

technosix

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2015
West Coast USA
Until I see an Apple Watch up close, my initial scepticism is around the user experience on such a tiny screen. It's rather obvious that it must be acceptable for some tasks or we wouldn't have smartwatches.

Yet I can't help but wonder just what the limitations are. Even if what it does, can be done with ease I'm still far from convinced. But then again just like with any product it's not for everyone, and I suspect I'm going to be quite happy without getting involved with this type of device.

vigilant

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
Nashville, TN
I expect Siri to be fully functional on the Watch and agree than handoff to phone would be the best way to handle search results (whether from Google or Bing). I hope Apple has implemented it!

I usually ask Siri to "Google whatever" when I want to run a search, so my results tend to be from Google.

Considering Apple's fit and finish I think a handoff would be what they would do.

Either that, or the response would be to use your iPhone for a better search.

Siri really is a combination of natural language voice method coupled with backend web service. I believe this is the main reason why Apple is using Bing instead of Google. Bing offers their search results now as a platform for just about anyone to use. Google doesn't offer that to the same extent. I'd imagine though that in a year or two Google will.

I have to imagine that since many siri responses result in a list of contextualized data linked to a website "What's the best Italian restaurant near me" "Here are the 5 closest Italian restaurants. Some of them are fairly close to you" it makes sense that some kind of handoff would need to exist.

camtechman56

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2015
Warren, pa.

The screen display really wouldn't be a problem, I had a Ikwear watch, it was a cheap watch. but it had a place for a sim card and a sd memory card, I could run google searches and if i touched the screen it magnified, and you could read it ok... It was android and I have an Iphone, so it was limited connection with blue tooth. I could even play games such as soduko after downloading them from google play.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.