No sales tax?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by wgkealey, Jun 13, 2007.

1. wgkealey macrumors member

I was thinking of going down to Delaware to purcase my computer (1 hour drive and will save over $100) but does anyone know if you have to be a resident of that state to qaulify for no sales tax?

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

If you go to a store, you can purchase without paying tax. Technically, you may be obligated to pay a "use tax" to your home state when you pay income taxes. The law surrounding this is very confusing, though, and compliance is low. This is why there's a lot of controversy with respect to sales tax and online purchases (e.g. when you buy from an online store that has no physical presence in your state, they typically do not collect sales tax from you, but sometimes, and in some states, you are obligated to use tax, but hardly anyone understands how to report it or do it, and it's not really enforced or tracked).

3. shipdestroyer macrumors 6502

We (southern NH folks) get a lot of people coming up from Massachusetts because of no sales tax. I think you'll be fine.

4. Mundy macrumors regular

I often travel across the state line (about a mile away) to purchase expensive items, since my own state's sales tax is 9.25%, but across the border it is 6%.

For Mac purchases, Amazon.com is an option that allows most people to completely avoid sales tax.