No SATA III in 2011 MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zachnelson, May 15, 2011.

1. zachnelson macrumors 6502a

Sales chat online and Apple Care over the phone both just told me there is not SATA III internal connection for the hardrive in the 2011 MacBook pros...

:( :confused:

2. aiqw9182 macrumors 65816

SATA III is supported for all 2011 MacBook Pro's for the HDD/SSD. It is not however supported for the optical drive in all machines (some do have SATA III ports for the optical drive, some don't). That doesn't matter at all unless you plan on replacing the optical drive for a second HDD or SSD.

3. zachnelson thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Because not every Apple employee knows what they're talking about. Remember, "Genius" is their job title, not an indication of their knowledge, intelligence or experience. Also, Apple has "official" positions on certain topics, where real-world experience is different, such as maximum supported RAM.

5. zachnelson thread starter macrumors 6502a

The guy on the phone put me on hold for almost 20 minutes talking to his "level 2 technical support buddies" haha

6. johnnj macrumors 6502a

Who knows why they said that? Maybe it's a spec they don't advertise as a feature so the people you spoke with don't have it in their materials. Whatever.

It's been confirmed by everyone who's bothered to look that the HDD port is SATAIII in all 2011 MBPs and that the ODD port is SATAII in early production runs and III in very recent ones.

As GGJ indicated, there are at least two threads here containing discussions and screenshots on this topic.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Meaning he took a 20-minute break while you sat on hold? :D

8. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Cause he has no idea what Sata is.... 2 or 3. He probably looked at the specs of the HDD in the 2011 mbps and they are all Sata 2. Sata 3 is supported on all sandy bridge mbps in the HDD slot and some of the optibay are also Sata 3. I thought the newer build models both have Sata 3. Not that it really matters unless you plan to run 2xSSD(not sure if anyone has tried this)

9. johnnj macrumors 6502a

Config in sig.

10. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Nice. Have you had any issues with the system? Any beach balls.? Looks very impressive, does the ram run at 1600? and also are you getting 6gb on the ODD connection? Is this in raid?

11. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

People frequently confused SATA2 and SATA3 because SATA2 (3.0GBPs) and SATA3 (6.0GBPs) due to the 3's. Why they told you SATAII is probably because the factory hard drive runs at SATAII, and the person doing the research has no idea what Serial ATA actually is. IIRC Sandy Bridge has native SATA3 support, and also IIRC, the most recent MBPs can run two SATA3 hard drives (the first 2011s could not).

12. rex450se macrumors regular

Is there an easy way to find out if my MBP is capable of the 2 SATA3 connections? Or is it just a plug in and you'll find out? Thanks

Sorry for hijacking the thread.

Victor

13. zeiter macrumors 6502

I think it is quite unfair for Apple to provide uses who supposedly buy the same computer, some have SATAII optibay and others haver SATAIII...anyways.. should be uniform

14. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Go to "About this Mac"

Click Serial ATA on the side list

Click the second "Intel 6 Series Chipset" that is NOT the one with the HDD or SSD

and view.

Mine shows 6.0 capability

Attached Files:

15. johnnj macrumors 6502a

Thanks. I was getting some random kernel panics, but they seem to have stopped since I replaced the original Patriot 1600 kit with the Kingston one I have now.

Never.

Thanks. Yes.

No.

Yes, as stated in sig.

16. JasonH42 macrumors 6502

I put 2 x Vertex 3s in mine, running as RAID 0. Not much improvement since my optical port is also 3Gbps. Thought about buying a more recently built 15" 2.3Ghz to try and get 6Gbps, went into my local Apple Store and a "Genius" told me that they didn't sell the 15" 2.3Ghz. Pointed at the price list; they actually had 6 in stock... :rolleyes: You can't always trust a "Genius". ;)