No Satellite iPod...

jadam

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2002
That would have been pretty cool to have satellite radio, but with podcasts becoming more prevalent nowadays, I can see their reasoning.

coumerelli

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2003
state of confusion.
well, on one hand, I can see where adding XM or sirus would have cornered the market for that much longer, but on the other hand, yeah, in the mac purist fashion, less is more.

patseguin

macrumors 68000
Aug 28, 2003
What is a "podcast"?

[Note from the moderator: This question has now been answered a few times in this thread.]

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
gwuMACaddict said:
good. the iPod is an mp3 player.

Yah god forbid its ever more then that. New for 2035 the er...new iPod. Its got more battery life and can hold more songs just like last years model and the previous years and the previous years, and the previous.... :rolleyes:

If that is the trend so much for Apple being the innovative company. More like the stagnant company. The iPod Photo is cool and all (I own the 60GB one.) but its hardly revolutionary.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
not for me, so im glad, i dont need/want the iPod to become the jack of all trades, it works well as a MP3 player, dont let it become too bloated

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Couldn't a third-party product provide the receiver and iPod interface? A healthy competition among other companies to sell you this add-on capability might produce some innovative designs, without Apple's involvement at all.

Ja Di ksw

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
I can see not putting a satellite radio in there, but why not just a normal radio? They can be made so small today, it would barely add any (if any?) size to it. Sometimes you just want new music that you don't have, or to hear new songs you didn't know about. How about even (god forbid) to listen to the news on the radio.

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
Steve isn't a fan of a music subscription service like Napster... wouldn't you have to pay a subscription service for XM? Yeah it'd be different than Napster but... somewhat similar... just less control over what plays.

the silver fox

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2004
uk
iPod Classic

Well it is nice to know that they haven't really introduced any new features since the first generation iPod. Bah. And as for it being an MP3 player, I never complained that my hi-fi had the ability to switch between playing CDs, records and radio. What is wrong with extra features if they manage to sort out the battery life?

I, for one, would like to see better interaction between the iPod and iTunes. How about a software update that allows the iPod to track playcounts and update them within iTunes? I would also like my current song on my iPod to continue in iTunes when I pop it into the dock.

cornfedgrowth

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2004
I'd buy it.

Personally, I'd love to have Satilite radio in my Ipod. Sure, less is more, but it doesn't have to ruin the simplicity. My Opinion: keep the current line, and add a high end sPod. I use sirius in my car currently, and i love it. I'd be willing to pay for it in my iPod.

Catt

macrumors member
May 21, 2003
London, UK
The other problem with adding satellite radio is that its effectlively only North America that uses it. Both Europe and South Korea use DAB (digital audio broadcasting), so from an economic point of view it would proportionately cost more because Apple would have to produce two seperate iPods one the US market and one of the European/Other market. Unless of course they can integrate both DAB and Satellite into a single device but I doubt it - especially as DAB handheld radios are a little on the large size anyway.

Although an analogue radio would still be welcome, for me anyway; I would use not for music radio but for spoken word.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
It's good to hear confirmation that it isn't true or true. Now I just want confirmation of a Tiger ship date and I'll be set for this year. I was thinking that Sirus stock would really soar if they hooked up with Apple. I didn't have a lot to invest right now so this was good news for me. I had predicted Apple stock would reach in the 40's within a year when it was around 12 dollars after the iTunes Music Store went live but I didn't have the funds to invest. I didn't want to have that happen again until I am ready.

rtdgoldfish

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2004
Jacksonville, FL
I think it's too bad that we won't see satellite radio in an iPod anytime soon. I just got XM in my car a few weeks ago and love it. It would be great to be able to listen to it on my iPod as well. I know everyone says the iPod is an MP3 player but Apple does need to keep expanding its features. How many times will they be able to get away with making the hard drive bigger without adding anything else?? The controls are about as simple as they are going to get. Many other MP3 players have an AM/FM radio in them now so Apple adding satellite radio to the iPod would be a pretty good step ahead of the rest.

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
Well, that's exactly it. If they manage to sort out the battery issue, then I would rather have an extra 8 hours of battery life without radio than the same battery life with radio.

pgwalsh

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2002
New Zealand
Doesn't mean they wont do it.

Just because they "obviously" don't need it for success, doesn't mean they wont do it. It's not like Steve Jobs is going to let something like that out of the bag..