No screen fill connecting MacBook to Sony Bravia

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Heleen, Apr 5, 2010.

1. Heleen macrumors newbie

Heleen

Hi,

I have a MacBook 5,1 (late 2008) running Mac OS X 10.6.3 which I would like to connect to our Sony Bravia KDL-37S5500 to watch films. The Sony Bravia has a 1080p resolution (1920x1080) and my MacBook can output up to 1920x1200 (which it has been doing fine on my Dell monitor).
    I am connecting it using the Apple mini-display-port to DVI converter, then a DVI cable and finally a DVI to HDMI converter which plugs straight into the TV.
    It looks great except that it doesn't fill the screen entirely. It seems the resolution is correct (text looks normal, not stretched in any way), but when Overscan is turned on the image is slightly too big horizontal-wise. When Overscan is turned off I get black borders around the image (horizontal as well as vertical). We've tried different settings both on the TV and on the MacBook, but we can't get the right view.

From other forums I gathered that some people really do get it precisely screen filling with correct resolution and all.
    Could anyone explain how this is done?
    Thanks very much!
    Heleen

2. kasakka macrumors 68000

At least on my KDL40V4000 I have to turn on 1:1 (I think it's called Full Pixel or something like that) from the TV's options. I have Overscan on by default too and it seems to be just fine.

3. Heleen thread starter macrumors newbie

Heleen

Thanks for your reply Kasakka. After some searching I found the following link: http://pixelmapping.wikispaces.com/Sony+TVs. For my TV model it says there is no 1:1 pixel mapping for HDMI, so I guess it's not fixable on the TV side. I'll be looking for something on my Mac now that might be able to fix it.

4. MysterMac macrumors member

I've never been able to get fullscreen 1080p from my macbook either (13" Unibody -> KDL40V4000).
    macbook -> mini displayport to dvi (adapter) -> dvi to hdmi (cable) -> tv

gave up a long time ago :(

5. Heleen thread starter macrumors newbie

Heleen

Well, I decided to watch a film anyway and it turned out that Quicktime (newest version) managed to fill the screen somehow. However my MacBook was struggling a bit with the HD content and I switched between media players to find out which one worked best. When I turned back to Quicktime it didn't fill the screen anymore. So that was a little confusing.
    I will try to find out what happened later when I have time.