No Screen Orientation Lock?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by sportsfrk214, Jun 22, 2010.

1. sportsfrk214 macrumors 6502a

For the 2G Touch...Is Apple kidding? I understand why some features were left off, even the home screen wallpaper. But no Screen Orientation lock? That's bad. I can't think of any hardware limitation on the 2G Touch that would stop this feature from being implemented.

2. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

3. sportsfrk214 thread starter macrumors 6502a

It's an option to lock the screen in either portrait or landscape mode regardless of how you're holding the device. So if for example, you lock the device in portrait mode, you can lay it bed without it switching to landscape mode.

The iPad has a dedicated hardware button for it, and the iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, and iPod Touch 3rd Generation now have a software button for it courtesy of iOS 4. I just don't see why the 2nd Generation Touch doesn't have it.

I understand that the option for the screen lock is on the multitasking bar, and the 2G Touch doesn't have that, but that's no excuse in my opinion. When you double click the home button, the bar should come up on the bottom with the iPod Controls and the screen lock button.

4. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

Oh, i understand now. I wish my phone had that...

5. lilcosco08 macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

6. markojug macrumors regular

Yes, but the jailbreak is still in beta, and has many bugs in the software so I would live without the screen orientation lock for now if it's not a priority.

7. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

This is silly. I wonder if it can be enabled by editing some plist (configuration file)

8. celticpride678

Not without jailbreaking.

Screen orientation lock is part of the multitasking interface, meaning that no multitasking = no screen orientation lock.

I am surprised, however, that Apple didn't include this option somewhere else in the OS.

9. sportsfrk214 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Exactly. I understand its part of the multitasking interface, but like you said its weird they couldnt find another place for it. I think the simplest solution would be to have double clicking the home button bring up the same interface that you see when you bring up multitasking and swip to the left. Instead of having the blue box in the middle of the screen, give us the iPod controls on the bottom with the screen lock.

10. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Actually, the screen lock in iOS4 locks it to portrait only...

11. WG5516 macrumors regular

Haha thanks, I was wondering how you turned that feature on.

12. Dale Sorel macrumors 6502a

Dale Sorel

That's exactly what I've got with my 2G MB 8GB jailbreak set up with multitasking.

13. sportsfrk214 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I stand corrected. But a moot point for me, I'd never have a need to lock in landscape mode, its landscape that I'm always trying to avoid.

14. ChrisGonzales90 macrumors 6502a

ChrisGonzales90

That sucks. Wonder why you can only lock it one way

15. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

That sucks. :eek:

16. pieroxy macrumors newbie

Has anyone found anything on this subject?

I have once rotated my iPhone and a lock appeared on the screen (in the middle), that I could click to lock the orientation, but I have no idea how it got there and can't reproduce it... This is almost infuriating, even more now that I want to read books with iBooks on my bed...

17. JediMeister macrumors 68040

@pieroxy: You can bring up the screen lock option on a supported device by double-tapping the Home button, then swiping left to right until you see the audio playback controls and to the left of those is the screen lock toggle. Remember to go back in and disable it when you're done. A lock icon indicating it's active will appear in the upper right.

18. iMac0765 macrumors regular

Jailbreak.

Enable Multitasking via iFile and voila screen lock.