Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rjjd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2014
Holland
hi i have an question about my mac pro 3.1 When i boot my macbook pro with an bootable usb stick using the option key i immediatly get an grey screen with the option my mavericks drive and an recovery disk.. But when i do the same thing on my mac pro where two screen are connected.. nothing happens ??
i noticed that the aple wired keyboard is active after the chime sound is heart so i am not able to press the option key, and the mac pro boots normally until the start up screen os shown.
What am i doing wrong? needs the mac pro perhaps another boot procedure?
Can someone help me out?
any tips are very usefull and rated.

Rjjd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2014
Holland
no bootmenu seen during boot mac pro

sorry to say but this doen't work for me, the keyboard is connected directly to the mac pro however it has power after the chime tone is gone, so i am not able to press te option key immediatly when the mac pro is starting up..

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
sorry to say but this doen't work for me, the keyboard is connected directly to the mac pro however it has power after the chime tone is gone, so i am not able to press te option key immediatly when the mac pro is starting up..

Even if the keyboard lights up after the chime, the option key should still work if you hold it down immediately after pressing the power button.

If this definitely doesn't work it might be best to reset the SMC by doing the following:

1. Shut down the computer.
2. Unplug the computer's power cord.
3. Wait fifteen seconds.
4. Attach the computer's power cord.
5. Wait five seconds, then press the power button to turn on the computer.

Then if you could try again -- press the power button, immediately hold down 'Alt' -- you might have better luck?

Please keep us updated.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Some third-party graphics cards, because of the different firmware used, may not support showing the boot screen.
Does your MacPro have one of those replacement cards?

Rjjd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2014
Holland
no boot screen while booting up my mac pro

Before i bought this mac pro i created my own mac desktop using the guidelines of the hackingtosh communities and used this ati radeon HD 5770 as videocard. This is not the mac pro version of the videocard.. :( that one has an black cover and this one not, this one is being used for intel motherboards. So this could be the reason why i get no boot screen however that does not explain why my option key does not work while booting my mac pro.. I will try the suggestion who also is suggested and see what happens then..
Thanks

Rjjd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2014
Holland
i tried to reset the SMC with no luck too bad. But when i bought this mac pro there was an original Ati Radeon HD 2600 Xt installed on it, and i switch it with the present one Radeon HD 5770 1 GB .. Next step will be to replace the 5770 to the mac original 2600 video card and see what happens then. Then i must get an boot screen with boot options..

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
i tried to reset the SMC with no luck too bad. But when i bought this mac pro there was an original Ati Radeon HD 2600 Xt installed on it, and i switch it with the present one Radeon HD 5770 1 GB .. Next step will be to replace the 5770 to the mac original 2600 video card and see what happens then. Then i must get an boot screen with boot options..

Do you have two monitors or a monitor with 2 inputs? If so keep BOTH GPU's in your MP for bootscreen/maintenance! Good luck.

Rjjd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2014
Holland
Hi I have indeed two screens attached to the mac pro but no luck, if only one is connected also no screen is showed, I will try option switch video card tomorrow and see what happens then..

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
Hi I have indeed two screens attached to the mac pro but no luck, if only one is connected also no screen is showed, I will try option switch video card tomorrow and see what happens then..

Try to isolate this issue and remove the HD 5770 (PC) and try the 2600 HD (MAC) on both monitors.

Rjjd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2014
Holland
Macpro ne screen while booting

I have switchend both videocards with another but no difference is seen, so i am running out of options :( i think i have to leave it this way .. Thanks for all your help and suggestions

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.