No SD card in Windows but shows in OSX (Mid-2010 Mini)

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by CaelThunderwing, Jan 21, 2018.

1. CaelThunderwing macrumors newbie

CaelThunderwing

aftre spending bit of time wasting it to build a hackintosh Juuust to make a Yosemite Installer to recover my Mid 2010 Mini [no it didnt have the 1.5 FW Update to use Internet recovery at the time] i got it back to the way i had it before i had hosed the HDD except for one thing.

the SD Card reader doesnt seem to want to work in Windows 7 (x64 w/ latest Bootcamp software downloaded by yosemite's Assistant) i see a "Broadcom SD Host Controller" but no matter the sd card adapter (for micro to Full SD) or SD size or format nothing shows in windows, Device manager Or Disk Management, i shined a light at the reader, no bent pin or buggo's getting stuck and dead inside (i've seen some in shops that tsome bugs had crawle dinside and died in the reader slot) as the card reads just fine in OS X Yosemite :/

i've tried reinstalling Bootcamp drivers tried older versions nothing :/ Anyone got ideas why?

2. titangears macrumors member

titangears

Windows is weird. I have some USB thumb drives that I use all the time in Linux. When I've booted Windows 10 on the exact same hardware, Windows complains that there is a problem with the USB drive. Basically Windows is a stupid operating system. Always has been Always will be.

3. CaelThunderwing thread starter macrumors newbie

CaelThunderwing

ok this is weird in windows its only Recognizing SD capacities (upto 4GB) but in OSX no issues w/ upto my 256GB mSD.

4. titangears macrumors member

titangears

Perhaps it is a problem with the file system type on the SD?

I have a crazy idea. If you have an Apple computer seller close to you, you could take your mini to the seller and reinstall MacOS on your mini using the seller's DVD. Just install it at the Apple store. While you are there, make an ISO copy of the DVD using disk utilities.

5. CaelThunderwing thread starter macrumors newbie

CaelThunderwing

while i did despite my post on the offical apple forums eventually get a USB Stick image working i did get a somewhat broken Yosemite install installed which sufficed me long enough to run the Mini SMC 1.5 updater which made it possible to do internet Recovery, grabbed a non-bootable (aka a InstallESD) copy of Yosemite and installed that over Moutain Lion (which is what IR recovered to the mini) now the problem isnt in OSX i can use all FS's and Sizes in OSX just.. in Windows, Nothing.

if it was the FS directly i'd understand i mean it'd still show up in Disk Management, however it does not . if the SD is under 4GB, Nothing.. nada.

6. titangears macrumors member

titangears

7. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

Often, an external USB SD card reader can read cards that can't be read in the Mini's SD card slot...

8. ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

Did you ever find a fix? I have the same problem (SD card will read in MacOS but not Windows).

In my case it is a 2012 Mini with Sierra and Windows 10.

It's like there's a missing Bootcamp driver or something.

9. krause734 macrumors 6502a

krause734

How is it formatted? MS-DOS (FAT) is what you want. ExFAT or FAT 32. FAT 32 has a 4GB file size limit.

10. CaelThunderwing thread starter macrumors newbie

CaelThunderwing

havent used the mini in a lil while so i dont recall at this point but it didnt matter what FS i prepared it. to windows it acted like it wasnt an SDHC or SDXC Reader

No sadly i didnt, even more baffling even in Linux it has no trouble this Hasto be a Driver issue. but the last time i had windows 7 installed via bootcamp, i had no problem, so i dont know WTF i've done differently. i've tried of diffrent MicroSD to SD adapters thinking Thats teh issue but Nope :/

11. CaelThunderwing thread starter macrumors newbie

CaelThunderwing