No Selfie Flash on 6

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by techspin, Jan 5, 2016.

1. techspin macrumors 6502a

Or on any older iPhones. Any idea why it's disabled? :mad: Seems like a silly thing to remove. Are jailbroken devices capable of using this feature? I can understand the hardware side of planned obsolescence but this is just unnecessary. Wonder if it'll be there for the 6c..

2. joeblow7777 macrumors 68040

What do you mean, removed/disabled? There's no light on the front of the phone. There never has been. The 6s uses it's display to flash, and it's the first phone I know of that does so. You're also the first person I have ever encountered to complain that lack of selfie flash is a feature of planned obsolescence.

3. Elisha macrumors 6502a

Elisha

The selfie flash is colour balanced which means there is either a separate colour meter reading ambient lighting or the camera itself being able to do so like most dedicated P&S and DSLRs.
    Most selfie cameras tend not to be as sophisticated as the main camera so the older models probably just don't have the capability to colour balance the flash.

4. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

Remove? I did not know that the 6 ever had it?

5. techspin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yep, I'm aware there has never been an actual flash. Just wondering why the display can't be used for a flash for the 6 as well? @Elisha's response may explain it. Another example is the inability to animate live photos when set as the lock screen background. Seems like an arbitrary software decision to make the 6S more desirable. @Newtons Apple not removed, just not accessible on the 6 also.

6. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

There are many apps that can do this, like snapchat. You don't need apple's way.

7. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Because Apple.

There's no reason it shouldn't work.

However, if you are looking for Apple excuses, check out www.imore.com.

Rene Ritchie will say it's genius of Apple to not add selfie flash to the iPhone 6.

8. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

A lot of misinformation in this thread.

The selfie flash is actually a hardware feature.
    Taken from http://www.apple.com/uk/iphone-6s/cameras/

"Retina Flash is powered by an innovative technology — a custom display chip that allows the display to flash three times brighter than usual. "

So there you have it.

Could the previous iPhones produce something similar? Probably, but not as good, which is why Apple don't have it as an option for older devices.

9. Elisha macrumors 6502a

Elisha

It colour balances the flash too. So there is a bunch of processing involved to get it right. It's not always going to be 5500k white for example and may warm down to 4300k and cool up to 6500k depending on the balance.

10. HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

Ok this thread officially marks the beginning of the second phase of new iPhone year.

See the iPhone year is broken down into four phases.

1st phase - begins with release of new iPhone with millions of questions, disappointments, accolades, and of course the numerous "gates" we all love so much. This phase lasts from late September to New Years. With each new issue or non issue being blown up, exaggerated, mole hills becoming the Rocky Mountains. Typical questions are repeated from previous years, does glass scratch, which color is best, what size is best. Does the camera take better pictures, is the bezel to big, is the ID too fast, to slow?

2nd phase - consists of a sort of doldrums months. This is time for stupid questions, multi year old threads being resurrected. Android fans taking potshots at Apple fans. And a few legitimate questions by people that got iPhones for Christmas, that don't know how to look up same questions asked in 1st phase. Also include inevitable post holiday sales slump, which has Apple lowering original manufacturing orders more in line with reality. Thereby causing the inevitable, Apple is doomed comments. This runs from January through March.

3rd phase - begins April fools day with dozens of leaks for upcoming new iPhone. People have paid off the holiday bills and the money building up in their pockets makes them want to give it to Apple. This is time where phones get dropped, damaged, scratches become increasingly evident. The fever begins, slowly and with each speculation, supposed leak, the thought of a new phone becomes stronger. This runs to end of June.

4th phase - July through 3rd week in September the insanity becomes wide spread. All those that swore they would keep the last phone for two years, are asking how to upgrade in September. Frantic preparations to sell older phones begins in earnest. Best prices and how to end contracts early questions come from everywhere. This phase culminates in plans for how to be first online, "best way to buy" questions, stories from last year, and the threads for each carrier and Apple opening, titled "ordering from so and so status".

So, there you have it, change the iPhone model, change the year, but the cycle of questions comes right around the barn to start all over again. welcome to phase 2 everyone.

11. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Well, no reason apart from this ;)

12. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

HEK,
    Your are a keen observer of Apple life, but I would say that your schedule would work equally well for Android phones, with slightly different dates. :p

13. HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

LOL.....not sure how keen my observations are, as I have been hit over the head with same threads for several years. So trends pounded in to head by hammer are easy to spot.
    I take your word on the similarity to the android phones as I don't follow those threads. Guess it's a forum phone thing more than a brand thing.

14. avanpelt macrumors 68020

Amen to that. When he first started appearing on MacBreak Weekly, I thought Rene was a breath of fresh air.

Now, I never watch MacBreak Weekly (for several reasons, including Rene) and I can't stand the iMore Show. It's simply 60 to 90 minutes of Rene kissing up to Apple and Serenity Caldwell simply agreeing with virtually every point Rene makes. It's nauseating. The two people who balanced out the fanboyish nature of the iMore Show (Peter and Ally) moved on.

15. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Serenity is really likeable and so is Georgia. Rene seems like a decent guy but he has got to stop making excuses for Apple's shortcomings.

16. savagewatts macrumors regular

Probably the same reason they removed touch ID from the iPhone 5. They also removed the size from the iPhone 5S as it's not as big as the 6 series. I also noticed that Apple got very sneaky and removed Siri from all phones before the 4S. The next thing you know, they'll take away our waterproof features from our phone and make them only available to the 7. Why Apple, why?

17. HEK, Jan 8, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2016

HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

Because they can. Evil plot to reduce reverse compatability. Forces users to buy latest phone released, denying new features to older phones with software upgrades. Apple could have engineered iOS 9 making the 5 and 5s grow slightly each night till it reached size of 6 series.

18. techspin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Lol did my thread somehow induce you to poop out this essay? Anyhow, @Elisha and @jabingla2810 sufficiently answered my original question by clarifying it's a hardware feature.

19. Elisha macrumors 6502a

Elisha

None of the phones before the 4s had Siri. Plus the voice commands use a separate co-processor if I recall correctly and the older models did not have it.

20. C DM macrumors Westmere

Sounds like that was all sarcasm/exaggeration to comment on the whole "removed" part of it.

21. Skika macrumors 68030