No Sender, No Subject on iOS 4.0 Gmail

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by timothevs, Jun 22, 2010.

1. timothevs macrumors 6502

timothevs

It is rather strange, but since I updated to iOS 4.0 and set up my Gmail account for Mail and Notes via IMAP, everytime I check my mail on my iPhone, and later delete it on my Mac, the iPhone Mail App shows scores of unread emails, with as No Sender, No subject and no option to delete the same. Anyone else experience this? Any workarounds/solutions?

Attached Files:

2. joeybuckets macrumors regular

joeybuckets

me too happens with my gmail... do a hard reset it solves it temp

3. nippyjun macrumors 65816

What if you delete the account on your phone, reboot it and then recreate the account.

4. photojonny macrumors member

I had this using the IMAP Gmail settings. I changed to using the Exchange Server settings and the problem has gone. However, you cannot search messages held on the server using the Exchange method, so you lose out that way.

5. ayesayer macrumors newbie

This has happened to me a couple of times since upgrading my iPod Touch to iOS 4.0.
    What worked for me both times was just killing the Mail app on the multitasking interface (tap and hold, then tap the red minus) and launching it again.

6. CashDude macrumors regular

I get the same thing 12/31/69 No content.

It may have something to do with a bug involving mail being redirected from another account to gmail. Can anyone confirm this?

7. rkamp macrumors newbie

IMAP email problems

I only have one email account and am having the problem since the upgrade. I have deleted and recreated the account multiple times and still have the same problem. Do a reset stops it for a while, but it ALWAYS comes back. Using ayesayer's suggestion above seems to work, but it is a hassle since it worked perfectly before the upgrade.

8. Cannop macrumors newbie

Going to Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Gmail and then turning off Notes fixes it for me.

9. bchaplin macrumors member

I've had this problem. When I turned on threading (mail settings) it went away. It recurred twice and both times, turning threading off and then back on fixed the issue.

10. bob5160a macrumors newbie

I am having same problem on my 3GS since upgrading to OS4. However, "no sender" emails disappear when I sync phone to my macbook each night. Problem starts again the next morning. Turning off "Notes" in mail app, and other solutions mentioned above do not work for me.

11. picturelady macrumors newbie

It worked!

Turning off Threading and turning it back on worked for me! :D

12. picturelady macrumors newbie

Spoke too soon : (

Well it started doing it again. Now with more frequency. Anyone have other suggestions? Having other issues too.

13. spiels123 macrumors newbie

Same issue...

Have tried rebooting, deleting and reinstalling Gmail IMAP account and still the No Subject stuff keeps coming back. If I go to All Mail, then back to the Inbox, it refreshes. But a pain!

14. petegas macrumors newbie

Same here, 3g on IOS 4.0.1. Another bug, sigh

15. dwillisno1 macrumors newbie

try this

I observe a connection between the no sender email and deleting other messages, particularly those which have images. When I click on an email and delete it before it is completely open, later while it disappears, it does not appear in my trash box. Later it appears in the inbox as an no sender message. I have had success by deleting an ordinary message, sometimes one I create for this purpose, then going to the trash box and using the delete all option under the edit function. All the no sender messages in my inbox go away.

16. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

I found if you close the Mail App and restart it fixes the problem. Close it from the MultiTasking Menu.

17. erikdiamond macrumors newbie

Here is temporary fix for NO SENDER issues

1.) Press home button and Power button at the same time. Turn Power off. Wait 15 seconds

2.) Press home button and Power Button at the same time again until you see silver Apple icon appears.

3.) After your iPhone boots up, it should have removed all "no sender" emails.

4.) It probably only last couple of days to a couple of weeks before you start receive "no sender" email again. If it happens again, just repeat the process above, until Apple will find a permanent solution.

Hope this helps.

18. gianthobbit macrumors 6502

This problem out of now where has just came up for me as well. My wife's iPhone however does not have the problem. I have my gMail setup via Exchange. Toggling threading message fixes it for a while but new mail still comes with no sender no subject..... Turning the phone off fixes it but new mail comes in with same problem.

I setup syncing for calendar and contacts then via Exchange and gMail email for my email account but my mail is not getting pushed to me anymore... I was not having the problem with that setup however.

Please what the heck Apple, fix this!

19. gianthobbit macrumors 6502

Couple thins I have noticed. I have lockInfo installed and i glance at all my incoming mail and I see the sender and subjects just fine. Then I go into the mail app and i get the no subject no sender. This tells me that its not an issue with our mail accounts but on the locally. No body seems to have any answers (just spent forever researching online). Hopefully Apple fixes this soon... some work arounds in the mean time:

• Toggeling threaded messaging on and then off seems to help temporarily
    • for close the mail.app seems to help temporarily
    • leaving the inbox, going to another mail folder, and then back to inbox seems to fix temporarily

Hope this helps...

20. gianthobbit macrumors 6502

What honestly blows my mind is that my email with the current setup was working PERFECTLY for nearly a month. Absolutely no issues until now, wtf

update: Deleted account and readding, did a restart and now mail is working fine. LockInfo however just displays all incoming mail as exchange mail...

21. nish79 macrumors newbie

disbale email threading. It works.
    I have seen problems only when you enable threading.

22. gianthobbit macrumors 6502

Disabling threading has not worked, in LockInfo they show up as Exchange emails, no sender info or subject. When I enter the mail app all email is no sender no subject and it does a refresh the subject and sender pulls in...

23. ayesayer macrumors newbie

Apple posted a new support article today about this exact issue:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3426

Their solution is to kill the Mail app and start it again, or restart the device if you don't have multitasking.

24. gianthobbit macrumors 6502

That us good that it is official noticed but that us a pretty crappy work around. I would litterly have to force quit it every time to view it.

25. boxstboy macrumors member

Mine started working again yesterday and I didn't have to do anything. I think it's a server problem not a user problem, personally.