Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

doobs

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 19, 2008
I took my defective iPhone 3G in the Apple Store today and they gave me a new one (right out of the shrink wrapped box!). Anyway, my new iPhone 3G still says "No Service" after 2 hours since getting it. I was told that it should take only ~30 minutes. I have sync'd it with my computer (and registered it) and it has all my data on it with wi-fi, but no service. Does anyone have any idea about what is taking so long for my iPhone to get service?

aross99

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2006
East Lansing, MI
Seems odd. Did you try turning off the 3G just to see if it makes a difference? I notice there is quite a delay when I toggle 3G on (I don't have 3G in my area). I assume this is related to it trying to find a 3G signal.

Maybe you have a marginal signal, and it is stuck trying to find it?

Have you tried going outside? I know that isn't going to be an acceptable long term solution, but I have heard of people having trouble receiving a good signal indoors in certain situations.

It still shouldn't do that, but all of this is worth a try. You might also try the usual list of fixes: Turn it off (hold sleep until the red slide comes up - and slide it), and then turn it back on (hold sleep until the Apple shows up). You could even try a restore form iTunes...

doobs

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 19, 2008
Went back to Apple Store and they gave me another new iPhone 3G (3rd one). This one now works fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.