No service after iOS 9.2 update

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by brownpaw, Dec 9, 2015.

1. brownpaw macrumors regular

So do you guys remember iOS 8.0.1 and how it disabled the cellular on a lot of iPhones?

Well, 9.2 did it to my 6s.

Everything worked fine up until 9.2 finished installing. Afterwards, "No Service." Occasionally Verizon will pop up with 0 dots/bars but then it will go back to no service again.

I am in an area that has had good coverage for over a decade. I've removed and re-inserted the SIM; did not work. I have tried resetting network settings; did not work. Then I tried backing up and restoring with a fresh install of 9.2; did not work. Haven't tried downgrading back to 9.1 yet -- I guess that's next, but not really a tenable solution in the long run.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

So reinstalling 9.2 without even putting a backup back still doesn't work? What about popping the SIM card out and putting it back in? Maybe you need a new SIM?

3. brownpaw thread starter macrumors regular

As I mentioned, re-inserting the SIM does not help.

Apple Support had me do another restore through iTunes without the backup, still no dice.

4. s1nsman macrumors newbie

5. s1nsman macrumors newbie

I have the exactly same problem after update to 9.2. I also tried to downgrade to 9.1, did not work. My carrier is also Verizon. Sometimes it works, in that time, general- celluar-LTE shows Data only; voice and Data..., but when it goes off, only LTE on-off switch is seen. I also want to get solutions of this problem.

6. s1nsman macrumors newbie

The Sim works well in other phones, and USIM of other carriers works well. Only Verizon usims do not work on my iphone

7. adamhenry macrumors 65816

adamhenry

Did you do the carrier update after completion of 9.2 installation?

8. s1nsman macrumors newbie

Yes I did. My carrier version of Verizon is 22.1. I found many similar cases in the net when upgrading to ios 9.0.

9. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Current carrier on my iPhone, with iOS 9.2, is Verizon 23.1
    Maybe mine is too new...
    Must be why it's working :D

10. s1nsman macrumors newbie

OK I see, thank you. I already pushed update burtton when indicated yesterday, but there is no more sign for update of carrier software version, maybe due to incomplete connection. I will try through itunes, but is there any other way to update manually?

11. s1nsman macrumors newbie

I upgraded carrier software to 23.1. It does not work. No differences after reset

12. brownpaw thread starter macrumors regular

Was your phone originally a Verizon phone, or was it an unlocked phone that you brought to Verizon?

13. s1nsman macrumors newbie

it is an unlocked phone. But it worked well for several months

14. brownpaw thread starter macrumors regular

Mine is also unlocked. There's the common thread, eh? I've got a support ticket with Apple that's been escalated to the engineers, will post if I find out anything.

I'm curious now if it was the carrier update and not iOS 9.2 that did it.

15. s1nsman macrumors newbie

My phone has got cellular function back. I did nothing, only wait about 6 hrs. Phone rebooted by itself and it came verizon service, AS you see, The LTE only on-off switch changed to data, voice and data, off options.

Thank you for the advices, but I wonder why it took so much time.

16. C DM macrumors Westmere

Interesting, those LTE options have been there for quite a while now.

17. brownpaw thread starter macrumors regular

18. tivoboy macrumors 68030

My AT&T microcell stopped working after 9.2 Bummer.. I THINK there was a carrier update at the same time as 9.2 so maybe they will push something else?

19. tivoboy macrumors 68030

20. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

How is your microcell not working related to iOS 9.2 update?
    Might be just a coincidence....
    Have you contacted AT&T support to see if they have any answer for you?

** This might seem a little weird, but go to Settings, then toggle Airplane Mode On, wait for 5 seconds or so, then turn Airplane Mode back off. I saw a brief Carrier setting that flashed on then off. Maybe it will jog your microcell, too. :D

21. tivoboy macrumors 68030

Well, I guess I don't know with certainty that the 9.2 update caused the phone to stop connecting to the microcell but the timing and confirmation with my second phone makes me very suspect.

Everything was working fine, connected to the MCELL and updated to 9.2 and then no connection to the MCELL anymore.

on a 2nd iphone 6, which was on 9.1, it was connecting to the MCELL, after updating to 9.2 it no longer connects to the MCELL.. so it would surely seem a strong correlation with the 9.2 update and not connecting to the MCELL anymore.

22. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

The idea that comes to mind is to suggest that Apple spend time to get things right, to test their rather horrible updates before dumping them into our laps.

23. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

If you have confirmed that on two different devices, that seems to be a 9.2 issue.
    What have you told AT&T support? Maybe they know about it...