No Service after updating to 5.0.1

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by forshtay, Dec 27, 2011.

1. forshtay, Dec 27, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2011

forshtay macrumors newbie

I have a jailbroken iphone 3gs. Just upgraded from 3.1.3 to 5.0.1. When I turn my phone on, it says "no service" at the top. When I open cydia, it says I have SHSH: ios4.1, 5.0.1. I used redsn0w_win_0.9.10b1 to perform the upgrade. I had problems restoring to 5.0.1, so I unchecked the "set hosts to cydia on exit" in tiny umbrella and that took care of the restore issue. After using redsn0w, I went back and checked this box. I am still not getting any service, can anyone help me with this?

edit: I went into settings and turned off "enable 3g" and rebooted, still no service. Under settings>general>about, it says not available next to carrier.

2. forshtay thread starter macrumors newbie

I went back into cydia and installed untrasn0w 1.2.5. Now the services tab is stuck on "searching". Under settings>general>about, it says I am on the carrier "Carrier 11.0" and not T-Mobile like I think it should be.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Reset network settings.
    Try a few reboot or reinstall ultrasnow.
    You're sure you maintained your unlockable baseband from 3.1.3?

4. Sine Qua Non macrumors member

Wait--were you using t-mobile as your carrier in the US? Do you have a factory-unlocked 3gs?

5. forshtay thread starter macrumors newbie

I reinstalled untrasnow and rebooted, no luck. Not sure what you mean by maintaning unlockable baseband? There was an error message that popped when I was reinstalling ultrasnow, "sub-process \bin\bzip 2 returned an error code (2)."

6. drenline macrumors 6502a

drenline

Can you check what your baseband is currently?

Basebands play a huge factor in the unlock.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Go to settings/general/about and tell me your modem firmware.
    If you didnt save your baseband from 3.1.3 and updated to official 5.0.1 instead of custom 5.0.1 ipsw then your unlock is gone.

8. forshtay thread starter macrumors newbie

Edit: new error showing up when I added source "http://repo666.ultrasn0w.com", it says "GPG error BADSIG 694D17D38764B4F4 Big Boss
    <biggboss@the bigboss.org>

There were other error messages at the bottom, saying some indexes weren't installed.

----------

Modem Firmware 05.16.05. I used iphone 2,1_5.0.1_9A405_Resotore.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yep, you messed up big this time.
    You were not supposed to restore to official firmware.
    That's why newbies should learn and ask questions first before they attempt anything they're not familiar with.
    Now you lost your perfectly fine unlockable baseband.

10. hamsup1o macrumors member

Sorry to tell you this but you didn't preserve your baseband when you upgraded to 5.0.1 and now your unlock is gone. I think your only option now is to update to the ipad baseband 06.15.00. Downside to this is your GPS may not work and you will be stuck with this baseband.

11. forshtay thread starter macrumors newbie

is there a fix to this? I thought I was following the instructions I found at http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=18993, but must not have.

12. Sine Qua Non macrumors member

There is currently no way to downgrade your baseband.

13. labman macrumors 604

labman

nope you are sol for now! no fix at this time no eta! hopefully somebody else will learn from your mistake.. I would strongly consider selling your phone and trying again or buy a t-mobil phone or go to att maybe the gophone option will work.

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Those instructions are on how to perform an untethered jb as it says on the top of the page.
    These are the instructions you were supposed to follow:
    http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=18932
    Ask questions first not after. If you mess up then you learn its too late now.
    Only option now is the ipad bb and I dont advise that. Up to you.

15. forshtay, Dec 27, 2011

forshtay thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice, I wish I had gone there first. Why do you recommend not using the ipad bb? Is there a chance this bb issue will be reversible down the road? My iphone is just an extra phone I got from a relative, I still have my T-Mobile blackberry that I regularly use. If I don't try the ipad bb, the phone will just sit in a drawer.

And if anyone can direct me to a good site that explains how to do the ipad bb update, I would greatly appreciate it.

16. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Because once you put ipad baseband onto your phone, you kill its GPS. Also, once it is on, there isn't a way to go back.

17. labman macrumors 604

labman

read everything about it before you do it. I really don't think it's a good solution why I didn't mention it. even though it is a solution for many.

in short

-Loss of GPS.
    - in accurate signal strength.
    - can not upgrade to official firmware gets annoying after some time.
    - you lose your warranty because there is no way to downgrade so its clear to apple you have jailbroken device
    - You can't downgrade you baseband.
    -You will be stuck on the 6.15.00 baseband forever (or close to it!)

18. forshtay thread starter macrumors newbie

Is there a chance the error I made will be fixable in the near future? I am not worried about the warranty because it was a iphone 3gs my uncle got a year or two ago. It is just an extra phone I use when I am not using my blackberry. Am I better off waiting and letting the phone sit until my issue is fixable, or trying the ipad bb just so the phone is usable?

19. labman macrumors 604

labman

I wouldn't bet on a fix in the near future but anything is possible. Finding unlock exploits is very difficult. because there is very little code written.

20. forshtay, Dec 27, 2011

forshtay thread starter macrumors newbie

can someone point me to a site to go to that can walk me through the process of updating to baseband 6.15.00? I have looked in a few spots, but nothing seems to work. My phone is still showing that I am on version 5.0.1 (9A405) and Modem Firmware 05.16.05 and am trying to make the phone work with T-Mobile.

21. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Just use the same redsnow you used and go to jailbreak and then select "install ipad basebad".