No service...freeze...

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by spotsphill, Apr 10, 2010.

1. spotsphill macrumors regular

JB 3GS 3.1.2

Yesterday I was loading a video from NBC.com and all of a sudden I got the "No service" indicator in the top left. I waited a few minutes for it to find some 3G coverage, only to realize my phone was frozen. I restarted the phone using the home/power button method and when it came back, it hung on the Apple logo for a good 30-40 minutes before finally booting up normally. I thought this might've been a fluke, but then last night I booted up (after I accidentally let my phone run down to zero battery) and the same 30-40 minute Apple logo thing happened. This morning I was browsing Safari again and all of a sudden "No service," freeze, restart, Apple logo, 30-40 minutes...

The only thing that I've done recently is install a few updated versions of apps that I already had. Does this problem seem like an app conflict of some sort? If so, should I just go in and uninstall the apps that I just recently installed?

I guess I wouldn't mind re-JBing if I had to, but wouldn't that mean that I would be forced to go to 3.1.3 which has a more limited JB (no tethering - I confess that I haven't read much about 3.1.3 JB because I wasn't planning on doing it for a while)?

Sorry for the long post. Please help. Thanks.

EDIT: It seems as though the Apple logo flashes every 10 minutes or so (as if it's being restarted)

2. spotsphill thread starter macrumors regular

Well, I took the plunge and I think I did a stupid thing...

I went ahead and restored my JB 3.1.2 phone and it upgraded me to 3.1.3 (7E18) with firmware 05.12.01. I've read around a lot and everyone says that if I have a SHSH on file (which I do), I should be able to downgrade from 3.1.3 to 3.1.2 (thus allowing me to get back my untethered JB with internet tethering capabilities). I tried for a few hours but was unable to do so. In reading conflicting sources, it seems that I was unable to go back because I was upgraded to the new firmware.

Can someone give me a definitive answer as to whether or not I will be able to do a untethered JB? If yes, what method? (no need to explain it here, just tell me where to look).

Thanks!

3. spotsphill thread starter macrumors regular

I know this is a topic that people are tired of talking about, but could someone please help!? Having a 3GS without the JB is PAINFUL...

4. Leet Apple macrumors 6502a

Leet Apple

unless you need the unlock can't you just use Redsn0w and Jailbreak your 3Gs?

5. mreddys10 macrumors regular

6. spotsphill thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks mreddys. I had seen that post earlier today. I followed all of the steps on how to restore using SHSH (via iclarified) but when I got to the shift+restore, I didn't have an .ipsw file to use! I have the shsh file, but I don't have the .ipsw file. Where do I get that?

I downloaded two .ipsw's (activated and not activated) and neither worked -- I got error 1600.

I then tried just running blackra1n, but that didn't work either. I checked that my iBoot is the old version (got my phone in Sept. 2009) so I should be able to do an untethered JB.

I'm running out of ideas!

7. mreddys10 macrumors regular

You can download the firmware files from here: http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=750

Your download file name will be iPhone2,1_3.1.2_7D11_Restore.ipsw. Please make sure that you read the part in BOLD

The other 2 ipsw that you downloaded were custom? you cannot restore to a custom firmware until AFTER you are jailbroken. You need to follow those instructions to downgrade first, then use redsnow to jailbreak.

8. spotsphill thread starter macrumors regular

Great, thanks. I am downloading the correct ipsw now. How does iTunes know that I have the shsh? Nothing I'm doing to downgrade is pointing to the shsh file. I'm afraid I might be missing a step or something:

1) I added 74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com to the end of etc/hosts
    2) in DFU, shift+restore and select the ipsw that I am currently downloading

where is it telling itunes/iphone to look at my shsh?

9. spotsphill thread starter macrumors regular

IT WORKED with the correct ipsw!!! THANKS!

The only problem is that after the 2nd 1015 error, i JBed with blackra1n and now i don't have any reception. How do I get AT&T to work!?

10. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Blackra1n does that sometimes. Redsn0w would have been my choice. Fewer problems.

11. spotsphill thread starter macrumors regular

Blackra1n has worked for me several times. What would y'all advise for me moving forward?

12. spotsphill thread starter macrumors regular

I keep on reading about iRecovery to get it out of the recovery loop, but I haven't been able to get it to work with Windows 7. I follow the directions and I keep on getting the Blue Screen of Death! Anyone have any success in getting:

1) the phone out of the recovery loop
    2) JB?

I feel like I'm so close! (successfully downgraded to 3.1.2 but just not activated!)

13. mreddys10 macrumors regular

There was another post here earlier with similar issues, and he used redsnow to JB again after the 2nd error, but even his phone was not receiving any signal. I cant seem to figure out why. Even redsnow does not give the option of 'hacktivate or not'.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=891914

14. spotsphill thread starter macrumors regular

Neither blackra1n nor Redsn0w work! I think iRecovery might be necessary. Any advice!?