No service inside office building.

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by gooddutchgirl, Dec 25, 2009.

1. gooddutchgirl macrumors newbie

After purchasing my 3G iphone, I discovered that, despite there being 9 cell towers surrounding me, I am unable to get any service to my phone while inside my office building. When I spoke with an AT&T representative, she told me she has the same problem in her own office building. How can this be? I spent $300 on a phone that doesn't work in my office, where it's needed. Is anyone aware of a fix, other than to ditch this phone and use something with a different service provider?:eek:

2. Surely Guest

Surely

There's no fix. AT&T's signal isn't penetrating into the building.

I had the same problem with my 1st gen iPhone in an office building in Beverly Hills that I worked in over a year ago. I had to press up against the windows to get a signal.

People with the 3G were able to get reception though.

Also, people with Sprint, T-Mobile and Verizon were able to get reception in the building.

If it's important enough for you to have reception there, you should ditch the phone.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Does everyone else around your office have signal problems in general with other carriers?
    I dont know if theres much AT&T can do for you if you dont get signal inside a particular building. Theres always going to be places that signal simply cannot penetrate easy.

4. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

If you turn off 3G while you are in that building, you should get at least edge service.

5. Surely Guest

Surely

Not if AT&T's signal can't penetrate the building at all.

Also, if there is no 3G available, the iPhone automatically switches to EDGE.

6. gooddutchgirl thread starter macrumors newbie

Ultimately, I believe it's an AT&T issue. Anyone with Sprint or Verizon has no problem.

7. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Welcome to the world of gsm vs cdma. The cdma signal used by Verizon and Sprint is a more powerful signal and able to punch threw buildings a lot better than the GSM signal in use today.

There is nothing att can do about it. modern office buildings have a lot of steel in them and that is just murder to wireless signals of any type. The concrete does not help matters either. Mix that with the weaker signal from gsm carriers it makes it even worse. On top of all that the stronger cmda signals also start drowning out the gsm ones.

you are hit by a double whammy on you phone.
    1. Building is sucking it dry
    2. IPhone antenna is much poorer than other phones