Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jonaseeriksson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 7, 2010
I have an old bottom 3GS that worked fine unlocked with ultrasn0w and activated through SAM on iOS 5.0. For GPS reasons, I wanted to get rid of the jailbreak (and the unlock). Without too much research I thought that a Factory Reset through iTunes would do the trick. However, it is apparently not possible to get rid of the new baseband 06.15.00, and since it is no longer JBed, the iPhone won't recognize the BB. Thus NO SERVICE.

With redsn0w, i tried to rejailbreak it with following settings:
-Select IPSW (stock ipsw 5.0.1)
-Install Cydia
-Install iPad Baseband
-Deactivate

This only makes redsn0w crash. Therefore I tried to only Install Baseband, which works, and makes the iPhone at least recognize whether there is a SIM card or not in the phone, but won't still give me any network service.

Trying to only install Cydia or deactivate leads to "ERROR 6000ms".

So, I tired instead to restore through iTunes a custom sn0wbreeze_iPhone 3GS_OBR-5.0.ipsw, but to no avail.

Any ideas on what I could try to get my phone working again would be greatly appreciated!

Crystal-RX

macrumors 68030
Dec 22, 2008
Seattle, WA USA
I have an old bottom 3GS that worked fine unlocked with ultrasn0w and activated through SAM on iOS 5.0. For GPS reasons, I wanted to get rid of the jailbreak (and the unlock). Without too much research I thought that a Factory Reset through iTunes would do the trick. However, it is apparently not possible to get rid of the new baseband 06.15.00, and since it is no longer JBed, the iPhone won't recognize the BB. Thus NO SERVICE.

With redsn0w, i tried to rejailbreak it with following settings:
-Select IPSW (stock ipsw 5.0.1)
-Install Cydia
-Install iPad Baseband
-Deactivate

This only makes redsn0w crash. Therefore I tried to only Install Baseband, which works, and makes the iPhone at least recognize whether there is a SIM card or not in the phone, but won't still give me any network service.

Trying to only install Cydia or deactivate leads to "ERROR 6000ms".

So, I tired instead to restore through iTunes a custom sn0wbreeze_iPhone 3GS_OBR-5.0.ipsw, but to no avail.

Any ideas on what I could try to get my phone working again would be greatly appreciated!

You will have to install Ultrasn0w from Cydia to unlock your phone and your sim will work.

jonaseeriksson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 7, 2010
It works, so thanks a lot!

Since I was using a SIM belonging to the carrier to which the phone was locked, I thought that installing ultrasn0w wouldn't be necessary.

Crystal-RX

macrumors 68030
Dec 22, 2008
Seattle, WA USA
It works, so thanks a lot!

Since I was using a SIM belonging to the carrier to which the phone was locked, I thought that installing ultrasn0w wouldn't be necessary.

That correct. However, because of the ipad baseband you have on the phone, you need to install ultrasn0w in order for it to work.

Arisian

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2007
China
That correct. However, because of the ipad baseband you have on the phone, you need to install ultrasn0w in order for it to work.

I've actually had the iPad baseband not work on two 3G's despite doing everything they said.

Feel like the ipad baseband is pretty unreliable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.