Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

857fw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 9, 2011
I have an iPhone 3G running 4.2.1 (8C148) with firmware 05.15.14

I have jailbroken iPhone with Redsn02 0.9.6b6 (Windows)
Cydia is installed and functional
No phone service

History:
- iPhone was on normal AT&T plan.
- iPhone was being managed on a Mac and had previously upgraded to 4.2.1
- Upgraded to new iPhone 4G but had a family plan, so stuck AT&T SIM card in old iPhone 3G
- Phone service worked. Deactivated 3G and Cellular data in Settings/Network
- Hooked up to iTunes on PC
- Restored under profile for my iTouch
- Phone service worked and managed perfectly with iTunes
- Jailbroke with Redsn0w 0.9.6b6
- Pointed to iPhone 1,2_4.2.1_8C148_Restore file
- took a couple of attempts, but jailbreak was successful and Cydia installed
- I DID NOT use TinyUmbrella prior to jailbreak (thinking that was a mistake)
- Lanched Cydia and told it to "make my life easier" by managing SHSH
- I'm still "pending in TSS queue"
- Phone service does NOT work (nor does it acknowledge My Number in Settings/Phone)
- I have now run TinyUmbrella v4.30.05 and it shows Saved SHSHs for 4.1 and 4.2.1

Yes, I have tried searching. Only two things that seem to suggest where I have gone wrong are (i) I should have backed up my SHSH (whatever that is) with TinyUmbrella prior to jailbreak and (ii) maybe my firmware is incompatible 5.15.14.

Any thoughts, suggestions, links?

Thanks

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
Last edited:

857fw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 9, 2011
For anyone who has similar problem (and has luxury of having original SIM card), I was able to at least Restore my iPhone. In order to fully restore, I put the original (now-inactive) SIM card in the phone. I then did a Restore through iTunes.

After restoring, I put my active AT&T SIM card in (non-iPhone plan).

Phone feature now works. I access data through wifi, as this is not a primary phone or data device. I have not tried to jailbreak again to see if I can get the phone portion to work with the active SIM card while jailbroken.

I will probably try to jailbreak again, but use original SIM card while setting up. We'll see if that successfully maintains phone functionality, as it did during restore.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Its always a good idea to restore and activate with an original carriers SIM card so push and everything else on it works properly.
Then if you need to unlock it to use on unofficial carrier theres other steps you need to take after that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.