No Service Problem (UK)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Superman80, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Superman80 macrumors regular

Hi All,

Currently on EE and work in London, whenever i go underground on the tube i get no service, which you would expect, however when i come out of the station i have no service until i turn airplane mode on and off, happens everyday. This is not only annoying but not what a phone should do, sometimes i forget to put airplane mode on and only realise when family ring me on my work phone saying they cant get hold of me!

Is this a network issue, sim issue, iphone issue of software issue?

Thanks

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

It's not your phone...More than likely, it just isn't searching again. I can't think of a workaround apart from what you are doing. You could allow the phone to search for networks...Might help, but toggling AM off and then on again is just as effective as it will force the phone to "search again"

3. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

4. Superman80 thread starter macrumors regular

The problem i have is that i know when i go underground im going to lose signal but sometimes i might go into a shop lose my signal and not look at my phone for an hour and it still got no service, hopefully an update will be out soon as ive found this thread which shows its a common problem (the fix stated on that thread didnt work for me)

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4356115?start=0&tstart=0

5. cperchard macrumors 6502a

I'm really hoping this is an ios6 bug or something.....happens to me too....everytime i lose signal it finds it very hard to find it again!

6. matttye macrumors 601

Ill be on the tube tomorrow so ill check if this happens on O2.

7. coffeemadmanUK macrumors 6502a

coffeemadmanUK

I had this same issue with my iPhone 4S, and it seemed to be a common issue when I had my 3GS - always after returning from the tube.

My iPhone 5 seems much faster at returning to service, the only difference is the network. My 3GS was with O2, 4S with Vodafone and my 5 with 3.

Perhaps with the London Underground being so deep, and this not being replicated in many other parts of the world, the phone just stops searching for a network? I'm afraid I'm not as technical as required to answer, other than to say it's not just you, it's not the model of the phone or the iOS.

I also have a Nokia Lumia 710 and that takes a lot longer than my iPhone 5 to return to network (Vodafone) so it doesn't seem to be an iPhone issue.

8. Sir Ruben macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

This is an age old problem on iPhones that dates back the 3GS days. never seems to be discussed much on these boards, but if you do a google search you will find loads of info.

The symptoms are: No service that does not come back by itself, only a reboot of the phone or airplane mode on/off will bring it back.

I know someone with this problem and NOTHING resolved it. Not even a replacement phone and replacement sim card. Eventually it went away by itself and never returned.

The best I could gather was that its some sort of IOS bug that becomes apparent under certain unknown network conditions.

EDIT: Oh an in my experience Apple will claim that they have never heard of it. They told us it was a phone fault, replaced the phone for £125 and it continued to happen. I wrote a letter of complaint asking for the £125 back as it was mis-diagnosed but Apple point blank refused to refund.

9. pernicious74 macrumors newbie

I think its a network problem. I had a 4 with no problems when it was T-mobile until I received a network update i.e. "EE". Ever since then like you received these problems. I've recently upgraded to a 5. And still I have these said issues occurring.

I'm awaiting a phone call from tmobile tomorrow to explain. I called the helpline early today and the operator who I spoke to seemed disarmingly un surprised?!

10. reclusive46 macrumors 65816

reclusive46

I've had an issue with the phone not going back onto 3G once its dropped down to 2G as well.