Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wangta

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 19, 2012
San Francisco, CA
This question is about Kakao Talk specifically, but more about share extensions in general.

I just got an iPhone 6s+ having made the switch from Android. While I'm happy with the iOS 9 so far, I'm stumped at the sharing feature - in Android, if I'm browsing in chrome or whatever, I could easily share the page by hitting the "share" button - then a menu with every application popped up - including whatsapp, sms, facebook, etc - which would allow sharing of the webpage through that application.

I was browsing an article in Safari and tried to share it with a friend via Kakao talk and was stumped to find that I could only share the article via only a couple of different applications - whatsapp, imessage, etc. Why isn't every application listed here? I use Kakaotalk often with my friends in Korea (it's used by 95% of people in Korea). Similar issue - I'm looking at pictures in Photos, and can't send or "share" it with instagram as it's not listed in "Actions". Instead, I have to go to Instagram, then select the picture from Photos.

Am I doing something wrong or is there a way to activate Kakaotalk or Instagram share extension feature?

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
This question is about Kakao Talk specifically, but more about share extensions in general.

I just got an iPhone 6s+ having made the switch from Android. While I'm happy with the iOS 9 so far, I'm stumped at the sharing feature - in Android, if I'm browsing in chrome or whatever, I could easily share the page by hitting the "share" button - then a menu with every application popped up - including whatsapp, sms, facebook, etc - which would allow sharing of the webpage through that application.

I was browsing an article in Safari and tried to share it with a friend via Kakao talk and was stumped to find that I could only share the article via only a couple of different applications - whatsapp, imessage, etc. Why isn't every application listed here? I use Kakaotalk often with my friends in Korea (it's used by 95% of people in Korea). Similar issue - I'm looking at pictures in Photos, and can't send or "share" it with instagram as it's not listed in "Actions". Instead, I have to go to Instagram, then select the picture from Photos.

Am I doing something wrong or is there a way to activate Kakaotalk or Instagram share extension feature?

Developers have to provide code in their apps to be available in the Apple share sheet UI. It's not a system wide share that just automatically includes all apps.

Reactions: ohio.emt

Wangta

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 19, 2012
San Francisco, CA
Wow really? That seems very strange. I'm amazed an app as popular as Instagram, does not have this feature enabled. Why not make it mandatory that all apps in the app store have this feature?

I'll get used to it, but coming from Android, it's a strange omission.

Coupz

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2013
Have you scrolled to right and pressed the more... button? Maybe it's there and not activated?

Wangta

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 19, 2012
San Francisco, CA
Have you scrolled to right and pressed the more... button? Maybe it's there and not activated?

It's not there. Similarly, when looking at a photo in Photos, and trying to send it to another application - Instagram is not there, which baffles me.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It's not there. Similarly, when looking at a photo in Photos, and trying to send it to another application - Instagram is not there, which baffles me.
Sounds like Instagram hasn't implemented that extension so far.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.