No Shoes for Africa

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by canes960, Mar 23, 2010.

1. canes960 macrumors 6502

Toms shoes is doing a thing for Africa.

-On April 8th Tom's is doing a No shoes for Africa day.

-I will be attending this event.

- All you have to do is not wear shoes. It does not matter how long you don't wear them

-It promotes the cause

If You would like more info on this event Just PM me or go to their website http://www.onedaywithoutshoes.com/index2.php
    They are also on Facebook.

I am just trying to spread the word. Thanks for taking some time out of your day and reading this.

2. CJS7070 macrumors 6502a

CJS7070

We just did a sale on TOMS Shoes, sold about 40 pairs which is pretty good!

3. canes960 thread starter macrumors 6502

I believe what they are doing is quite incredible.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Even though I don't particularly like their shoes, I have to applaud their efforts.

5. CJS7070 macrumors 6502a

CJS7070

It is indeed, and I was surprised that so many people around me were interested in contributing and buying a pair; it's a good cause but the shoes are a bit pricy.

6. canes960 thread starter macrumors 6502

I have to agree. The shoes are not the best looking thing. But just knowing that a pair you bought gave somebody else in need of a pair is worth it.

7. bern1812 macrumors member

Im not sure I could handle going a day without shoes, but I will be sure to wear my TOMS that day. I love my TOMS, mostly because I have cut the amount of socks I wear per week in half, meaning less laundry :D

8. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Sorry for the double post. Don't know how that happened.

9. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Or you can buy a pair of shoes you do like then donate a second pair to a charity that works oversees. I applaud the Tom's shoes concept I am just pointing out the obvious alternative for those whom do not care for the look of Toms shoes. In that you do not need to feel guilty about not buying them if you are willing to take the extra step I mentioned.

One thing I am curious about is how high quality are the shoes (I'm talking durability not fancy materials). Are the soles glued like most cheaply made yet for some reason expensive Nike shoes or can they be brought to a cobbler and resoled when worn out? As I would think that would make more sense in these poor countries.