no SHSH. 4.0 to 4.0

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by iSlanderous, Jul 18, 2010.

1. iSlanderous macrumors regular

If i don't have the SHSH can i not restore to 4.0 if i'm already at 4.0?

2. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Nope, if you punch the restore button, 4.0.1 will be your only option.

And if you option + click restore, 4.0 will not authenticate so it will not install.

3. iSlanderous thread starter macrumors regular

dammit. it was what i thought would happen. So my iPhone 4 with 4.0 does not help me jailbreak at 4.0 at all i assume? might as well grab my SHSH for 4.0.1 and update?

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Stay at 4.0 for now till we hear anything new.
    Pick up your 4.0.1 shshs anyway.

5. iSlanderous thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, i grabbed all my shsh's for all my iDevices after i relized this. Suprisingly my 3GS was able to grab 3.1.3, 4.0, 4.0.1 SHSH blobs

6. wanzer macrumors member

No, you may still be able to jailbreak if you are still on 4.0, even if you didn't save the SHSH blobs for 4.0, which are used to restore/downgrade only.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Exactly.

8. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Why do you say this. Everyone here and on every site has said Do not update to 4.0.1 if you want to jailbreak/unlock. Being on 4.0 with and iPhone 4 is where you want to be until the new tools come out, which should be soon.

Either you are too impatient to wait to update or jailbreaking isn't really that important to you. :confused:

As for me, even though 4.0.1 likely won't interfere with the new JB/UL tools, I am mature enough not to rush into updating.

9. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Especially since 4.0.1 contains absolutely nothing but the new signal bar formulas, which are of no practical use to anyone.

10. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

from reading recent twits from musclenerd an the like the only difference in 4.0 an 4.0.1 is the signal display fix, the baseband is still the same and musclenerd even said redsn0w for 4.0 is jailbreaking 3G devices so going off that I persoanlly wouldn't worry about being on 4.0.1 on an iPhone 4 as the jailbreak hasn't been released yet so when it does it should support 4.0.1

11. iSlanderous thread starter macrumors regular

TBH i did not understand what SHSH was until a couple of hours ago. I am very interested in jail breaking but haven't done it in a while. my iPad which i just got was jailbroken with spirit at 3.2 and i stored its SHSH with cydia before i knew what it all meant. Now i planned to keep my iPhone at 4.0 untill i heard news about a jailbreak, I just thought that if one needs SHSH to install a iOS version then i am screwed if the jailbreak entails loading up a custom ISPW file for 4.0 because i lack the 4.0 iphone 4 SHSH. unless you don't need the SHSH for reinstalling software when your phone already has that firmware. It appears that the SHSH is the key to restores at iOS x.x and i diffident make a copy in time. Ill be sitting frosty at 4.0 for now. No need for 4.0.1 anyway.

12. iSlanderous thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, i have also started following them on twitter via google reader so i'm in the know now. 4.0 vs 4.0.1 is pretty moot anyway, its 4.1 that is the enemy. I'm sure 4.1 will come out after the jailbreak is released, and will probably break the jailbreak. (assumptions)

13. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

not necessarily... the dev team said they found about 3 different ways to implament a jailbreak, so you never know... apple send a update block one way they implament the other. I also seen in a tweet that they could be doing a jailbreak without the need of a computer.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=970391

14. iPadThai macrumors 6502a

Restored iPhone 4 (iOS 4.1 -> 4.0) downgrade

(deleted)