Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tez

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2015
I have purchased a new Denon AVR-X2000 and connected Foxtel, Sony Blu-ray and Apple TV inputs via HDMI through Denon to Sony Bravia.

Foxtel and Sony Blu-ray work fine but Apple TV gives no signal. Have tried connected directly to TV with no success (even though it worked fine with Sony prior to purchase of Denon)

Have tested Apple TV on other connecting directly to another TV and works fine so tried connected to second (smaller) TV via Denon - no signal.

Took Apple TV in to retailer that sold me Denon and they had same experience. No signal connecting through Denon but fine connecting directly to another TV.

I've updated software today on Apple TV and problem persists.

Suggestion is that issue is the HDMI "handshake"/HDCP connection. I have no idea what that means or how to fix it. Have read several blogs/posts from people with similar issues connecting Apple TV to receiver - not only Denon, appears to effect other brands.

Any ideas? Interested to hear if people have had similar issue and if they were able to resolve.

Mikael H

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2014
I have purchased a new Denon AVR-X2000 and connected Foxtel, Sony Blu-ray and Apple TV inputs via HDMI through Denon to Sony Bravia.

Foxtel and Sony Blu-ray work fine but Apple TV gives no signal. Have tried connected directly to TV with no success (even though it worked fine with Sony prior to purchase of Denon)

Have tested Apple TV on other connecting directly to another TV and works fine so tried connected to second (smaller) TV via Denon - no signal.

Took Apple TV in to retailer that sold me Denon and they had same experience. No signal connecting through Denon but fine connecting directly to another TV.

I've updated software today on Apple TV and problem persists.

Suggestion is that issue is the HDMI "handshake"/HDCP connection. I have no idea what that means or how to fix it. Have read several blogs/posts from people with similar issues connecting Apple TV to receiver - not only Denon, appears to effect other brands.

Any ideas? Interested to hear if people have had similar issue and if they were able to resolve.

I have a similar problem with a Raspberry Pi and a Denon X3100, only in that case they only appear if the Raspberry has entered screen saver mode while the receiver was turned off. I'm guessing it has something to do with the power saving features of the Denon receiver, but I'm not sure.
On the Raspberry I could force the device to output a slightly higher-strength HDMI signal, which seems to have mitigated (but not entirely solved) the problem. There's probably no way of doing this with an Apple TV.
I'd contact Denon centrally. The problem seems to be with their equipment, and it can probably be fixed with a firmware update, but they need to hear that the issue exists first...

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
it should work, works fine for me, my denon is a couple years old.

try a different HDMI cable (or swapping the same one end for end if you don't have another), or a different input

if that doesn't work...
on my denon, i can change which HDMI input goes to which source, so even though #2 says DVD, i can change it so the DVD would actually plug into #3. so make sure the input you're selecting is really the port you're plugged into

if that still doesn't get it, try hooking the aTV to a TV where you can see it, and set the output to 1080 60hz, instead of auto. then move it back to the denon and see if that gets it.

whtgables

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2015
Apple TV / Denon AVR-X2000

I have had the Denon AVR-X2000 since summer 2013, and have had an Apple TV gen3 hooked up to it for most of that time, with no major issues. In the past ~1-2 weeks I've started experiencing the issues some of you are describing (signal not passing through, HDCP not supported message, etc.). The sudden change in functionality makes me think that the Apple TV must have recently updated to software version 7.2, and this may be source of my issue. (I don't have my Denon connected to my network, so there hasn't been any firmware change on that side.)

I'm currently updating the Denon firmware to see if I can get this to fix the issue (if HDCP compliance has suddenly become more rigid on the Apple side, I'm hoping the latest Denon firmware will help correct).

Tez

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2015
Update on my original issue

Solution was pretty simple. Apple replaced the ATV and all works fine now.

For whatever reason the problem ATV worked fine with other TV's but not with this TV/receiver combo.

Can't provide a technical explanation but at least if you are experiencing this problem I would suggest trying a different ATV through the Denon to confirm it is your ATV that is the issue. If so simplest fix is get a replacement. I was fortunate that mine was still under warranty.

marbarks

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2015
Gulf Coast MS
Update on my original issue

Solution was pretty simple. Apple replaced the ATV and all works fine now.

For whatever reason the problem ATV worked fine with other TV's but not with this TV/receiver combo.

Can't provide a technical explanation but at least if you are experiencing this problem I would suggest trying a different ATV through the Denon to confirm it is your ATV that is the issue. If so simplest fix is get a replacement. I was fortunate that mine was still under warranty.

I have a Samsung 8500, Denon 1713, WD, DirecTV and Apple TV. This all happened after an update of the firmware of my Samsung. I read all kinds of posts on changing HDMI setting, getting a new ATV and other solutions. I tried everything. This all happened after an update of the firmware of my Samsung. Read the Samsung manual and it said that if 3D setting is set to Auto 1 or Auto 2, you won't be able to use all of the sources. I went in and changed the 3D setting from Auto 1 to off and it is now working perfectly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.