Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rdpx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 26, 2011
Hi there,

I have an EIZO CG243w which I normally use with no problems at all with my Macbook Pro. Problem is that the MBP is in the shop for a week or two, and I was relying on firing up my old PowerBook G4 and to tide me over.

It is a 15" PowerBook 5,8 - 1.67GHz PowerPC G4 with 2GB RAM, running 10.5.8

When I connect the EIZO cable to the PowerBook, the PB screen goes blue briefly, and then goes back to normal, like I would expect. However the screen shows the message "No Signal - Check Input". I have rebooted, unplugged, plugged, rebooted again etc etc. Yet just no signal. In System Prefs Displays there is no EIZO showing - no options at all just the main LCD.

I know there is no problem with the screen, and the connector from the PowerBook is working fine with a VGA projector, so I am wondering if there is just some basic reason I am missing that means the screen is simply not compatible with a G4, or whether there is some tweak I need to make.

The input on the monitor is a DVI-I.

Below are links to the monitor specs, and the PB specs.

VIDEO CARD: ATI Mobility Radeon 9700: VRAM (Total): 128 MB
[this should support external display up to 2560x1600, way more than I need for the EIZO]

PB = http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powerbook_g4/stats/powerbook_g4_1.67_15_hr.html

MONITOR = http://www.eizo.com/global/iblick/spec/?id=CG243W

I had the G4 running Tiger and am happy to put it back to Tiger if that would enable me to use the EIZO with it.....but that seems unlikely perhaps ?

If anyone can help I would be very grateful as I really need to do some critical work this week.....

Thanks in advance

rdpx

sporadicMotion

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2008
Your girlfriends place
Hi there,

I have an EIZO CG243w which I normally use with no problems at all with my Macbook Pro. Problem is that the MBP is in the shop for a week or two, and I was relying on firing up my old PowerBook G4 and to tide me over.

It is a 15" PowerBook 5,8 - 1.67GHz PowerPC G4 with 2GB RAM, running 10.5.8

When I connect the EIZO cable to the PowerBook, the PB screen goes blue briefly, and then goes back to normal, like I would expect. However the screen shows the message "No Signal - Check Input". I have rebooted, unplugged, plugged, rebooted again etc etc. Yet just no signal. In System Prefs Displays there is no EIZO showing - no options at all just the main LCD.

I know there is no problem with the screen, and the connector from the PowerBook is working fine with a VGA projector, so I am wondering if there is just some basic reason I am missing that means the screen is simply not compatible with a G4, or whether there is some tweak I need to make.

The input on the monitor is a DVI-I.

Below are links to the monitor specs, and the PB specs.

VIDEO CARD: ATI Mobility Radeon 9700: VRAM (Total): 128 MB
[this should support external display up to 2560x1600, way more than I need for the EIZO]

PB = http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powerbook_g4/stats/powerbook_g4_1.67_15_hr.html

MONITOR = http://www.eizo.com/global/iblick/spec/?id=CG243W

I had the G4 running Tiger and am happy to put it back to Tiger if that would enable me to use the EIZO with it.....but that seems unlikely perhaps ?

If anyone can help I would be very grateful as I really need to do some critical work this week.....

Thanks in advance

rdpx

You could try connecting the monitor while the PowerBook is off. Then power up the laptop and close it immediately forcing the main screen to POSSIBLY be detected.

Best I can think of right now.

PS - heck of a nice monitor

rdpx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 26, 2011
thanks SM - if it wasn't such a nice monitor I wouldn't be so worried about getting it working ! Tried your idea no dice.

Today spoke with EIZO support and Apple, nether have any idea. It should "just work". I have reinstalled back to TIGER, no change.

Very odd, must be some weird port issue that means it can talk to the projector, but somehow not the screen.....

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
first to eliminate all eventual causes
are you using the right cables and adapters ?
and yes there are huge differences in quality even if they all look identical , i had the same problem with a mini G4 and bought everything white, means a white dvi to dvi cable too , which did not work on the mini(same problem as your PowerBook) , bought another cable and then only got a poxy small resolution 800x600 and got annoyed, bought another cable and it worked like it should , unfortunately the cable was black , and all cables had the exact same connectors
it was even a bigger problem connecting a lcd tv with a hdmi input ..just 1 out of 7 dvi to hdmi cables brought up a picture on the display in native resolution

but funny enough all those cables did work fine if connected to a intel iMac core duo, so it seems to me like the G4 Mac's are a bit fuzzy when it comes to cables

Last edited:

sporadicMotion

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2008
Your girlfriends place
first to eliminate all eventual causes
are you using the right cables and adapters ?
and yes there are huge differences in quality even if they all look identical , i had the same problem with a mini G4 and bought everything white, means a white dvi to dvi cable too , which did not work on the mini(same problem as your PowerBook) , bought another cable and then only got a poxy small resolution 800x600 and got annoyed, bought another cable and it worked like it should , unfortunately the cable was black , and all cables had the exact same connectors
it was even a bigger problem connecting a lcd tv with a hdmi input ..just 1 out of 7 dvi to hdmi cables brought up a picture on the display in native resolution

but funny enough all those cables did work fine if connected to a intel iMac core duo, so it seems to me like the G4 Mac's are a bit fuzzy when it comes to cables

This. Do you have any spare cables around you can swap in?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.