Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 6, 2009
After this latest update I keep getting a "No Sim Card " error been though I am using wifi and my cellular service is switched to off on my iPad. Anyone know how to resolve this or is this a new bug?

Killerbob

macrumors 68000
Jan 25, 2008
I just want to say I have the same issue on my iPad Mini. I upgraded to IOS8, and though there has never been a SIM card in it, and I have it setup for Airplane Mode, with WiFi turned on, it keeps telling me I have no SIM installed... wft?

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
After this latest update I keep getting a "No Sim Card " error been though I am using wifi and my cellular service is switched to off on my iPad. Anyone know how to resolve this or is this a new bug?

It seems to be an hardware failure

Lockon

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2010
Same issue here on my Air 2. Not happy about it. A restart fixes it though.

kappaknight

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2009
Atlanta, GA
Same issue with my iPad mini... it is an LTE version, but the service has been switched off. It started happening after I popped it out and pushed it back in.

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 6, 2009
I got another recent problem I just discovered which I was not sure about before. I had a sim card from Smartone in Hong Kong of which I used in my iPad mini for Data connection. Before departing Hong Kong to China I switched of cellular service on my iPad. A few couple of days later I used the iPad via wifi for days 2 until 4. I get back to Hong Kong and found a huge bill for roaming :eek: of which gave me a negative balance on my sim card. I was almost positive it was off the whole time as well as I had personally switched it off. This time I left hong Kong and headed over to Thailand and was going to make sure that this did not happen again and switched everything off again. I get to the Hotel and found that I had a local Data connection on DTAC and that I was roaming with roaming data charges used. I was really pissed and took out the SIM card out of the tray.

Conclusion: Either Smartone SIM cards are sneaky and turn themselves on while abroad or there is a bug in the OS which turns the SIM card Cellular service on by its self.

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
I got another recent problem I just discovered which I was not sure about before. I had a sim card from Smartone in Hong Kong of which I used in my iPad mini for Data connection. Before departing Hong Kong to China I switched of cellular service on my iPad. A few couple of days later I used the iPad via wifi for days 2 until 4. I get back to Hong Kong and found a huge bill for roaming :eek: of which gave me a negative balance on my sim card. I was almost positive it was off the whole time as well as I had personally switched it off. This time I left hong Kong and headed over to Thailand and was going to make sure that this did not happen again and switched everything off again. I get to the Hotel and found that I had a local Data connection on DTAC and that I was roaming with roaming data charges used. I was really pissed and took out the SIM card out of the tray.

Conclusion: Either Smartone SIM cards are sneaky and turn themselves on while abroad or there is a bug in the OS which turns the SIM card Cellular service on by its self.

Oof. That's bad. You had Data Roaming turned off as well? If that's the case, i think it is definitely something you need to take to your carrier and/or Apple. Neither will likely claim any responsibility TBH but at least it's on the record and maybe they can look into it. Very very weird that it would transmit cellular data even in airplane mode.

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 6, 2009
Oof. That's bad. You had Data Roaming turned off as well? If that's the case, i think it is definitely something you need to take to your carrier and/or Apple. Neither will likely claim any responsibility TBH but at least it's on the record and maybe they can look into it. Very very weird that it would transmit cellular data even in airplane mode.

Data Roaming was turned off as well. Not sure exactly how but it seems to turn its self on. Whether it is a sneaky move on behalf of the carrier or some sort of bug in IOS 8 is something I am not sure of. What I am sure of now is that there is a problem but I am not sure whom is to blame yet. At first I thought that maybe it was my fault (although I had doubted it), but I am sure now that there is a problem with one of the two when using Smartone SIM card from Hong Kong and then going into China with everything switched off.

Last possible possibility is the government in China hacking into it and turning it on. We had hacks out of China before from their government so this would not surprise me. I was a victim to that last iCloud log in hack by the Chinese Government where a pop up popped up on the screen asking you to log onto Apple to be able to continue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.