No SIM card installed error ARGH!!!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by elneto, Jul 13, 2010.

1. elneto macrumors newbie

:mad: Please tell me
    I'm not the only one experiencing this on the iPhone 4. Mine was perfect since day 1, ok I did need a bumper, but since last Friday 'till today I'm getting the message No SIM card installed four to five times a day. I reset it and it works, then again. I take the sim and reinstall and the same. In the middle of a call boom "no sim card installed" Its driving me nuts! :eek:
    Any suggestions?

2. ddoolin macrumors regular

ddoolin

Take it in and have them replace it. Apparently they're being pretty generous about replacements at the moment. :)

3. VPofIT macrumors newbie

VPofIT

I got the same error. Get a new sim card from ATT. That fixed it for me.

4. elneto thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks man, but does that mean I will have to wait 4 weeks for them to replace it? There's no stock in NYC. I'm not loving :apple:

5. elneto thread starter macrumors newbie

Cool! I will go tmw to AT&T!
    Merci

6. nospeed411 macrumors 6502a

They replaced my phone no questions asked for that very same issue. They did have me try and replace sim first but it did no good. Call applecare and tell them the issue then they will arrange for a walk in replacement at Apple store for you . It saves time dealing with the moron bar.

7. iTerpRunner macrumors newbie

I have been getting the same error :(

To those who were able to get a new phone, did Apple ask for proof that you at least tried a new sim card first? I am just wondering if they would ever know anyways because frankly, I don't have time to stop by an ATT store and then if that doesn't work:(, go through another queue through Apple to get things to work properly. I'd rather just go straight to Apple and have them give me a new phone...

8. felixthea macrumors newbie

Turning the airplane on and off worked for me. Has replacing the sim worked well for anyone?

9. iTerpRunner macrumors newbie

Gave in...and went to ATT

My error messages became a LOT more frequent all of a sudden yesterday so I decided to go into ATT and get a new SIM card. So far so good....but if it occurs again, I am going straight to :apple: for a new phone :mad:

10. allson macrumors newbie

I began getting various SIM error messages within 24 hours of getting the iPhone. AT&T tried replacing the SIM but it worked for only a few minutes. They sent me to the Apple store. Apple didn't ask for proof that I tried a new SIM first, and just went through some standard troubleshooting, and using a penlight to check for water damage. They replaced my phone right there, giving me what appeared to be a new phone out of a small plain black box that didn't contain the cord or plug. I was in and out of the store in 15 minutes and the new phone has worked fine every since.

11. punisher1-1 macrumors member

Had same issue

Just call the apple store you want to go to make a genius bar appointment and they will exchange it no problem. I had the same issue and tried a new sim and it fixed nothing and I actually have that same sim in my 3rd iPhone 4 (2 nd had the yellow blobs and 3rd is perfect). They have replacement phones just for this reason that they do not sell. In the mean time switching air plane mode on and off fixes the sim issue but it's only a band aid and will continue the issue. Make sure you tell the genius bar you already swapped put the sim though since they will tell you to do that first but it's definetly a hardware issue like I said I have the same sim now that was giving me the no sim issue.

12. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Oh god. I get this same issue on my 3GS.

It's sooo annoying. I've had my 3GS since launch, and it started doing it around August, but very rarely. Then around April it started to do it at least once a day.

13. pvmacguy macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

Had that same issue on my first ip4. Tried the new sim card and that made things worse. Went strait to apple and got a replacement. All is good now. Anyone having this issue get a replacement.

14. harry20larry macrumors 6502a

harry20larry

I had the same problem, took it to orange and gave me a new sim, fixed it. Some people have said a sim replace doesn't fix it, in which case try give you a new phone no questions asked.

15. zizo79 macrumors 6502a

zizo79

I trimmed mine a little bit but I still want to replace it. Do you guys think that they will say anything ?

16. N23 macrumors regular

Had the no sim error the second day of release.
    Replacing the sim card didn't solve the problem, so Apple replaced the entire phone.

17. s8film40 macrumors 6502

s8film40

I had the issue, I had already tried a new sim card, the one AT&T gave me did look different by the way. I also took a screenshot each time it did it to document how often it was happening and at what times. They really didn't ask any questions just replaced it. Also if you are experiencing this problem you can ease your frustration a little while you wait, when it happens you can turn airplane mode on and then off again and it will reset. Much faster than resetting the phone.

18. bmat macrumors 6502

I just got the sim card error message this morning for the first time. And now it has happened three times today. I've had my iPhone from the first day. I wonder why this just happened.

19. iTerpRunner macrumors newbie

What ATT Said...

When I went into the ATT store to get the new sim card, he says sometimes they can just "go bad or get de-magnetized." Since getting my new sim card, I haven't seen the error come back.

20. boostmiser macrumors member

I've got this message three times since the day the phone came out. Rebooted twice and pulled the sim once (sure would be nice to have a build in sim removal tool). I'm thinking I might try a new sim card.

21. nerk69 macrumors newbie

You are not alone. I have this problem too, It would happen 1 to 4 times per day. Airplane mode would temporarily fix the problem, but it would inevitably come back. I had a new SIM card, but still had the problem. Now the phone has been replaced, but I have not had the problem since. What I would suggest is to:

1. Get a replacement SIM from ATT, they will do it for free and it is quick.
    2. If that does not work, have Apple replace the phone. Bring your all of the original stuff and they will just do an exchange. Or they will just exchange *only* the phone, but I am anal about having everything matching...

22. boostmiser macrumors member

Update...error started popping up more frequently. I even taped the sim card to the tray. No dice. Fed up, I finally went to the Apple store. The original genius never heard of the issue. He wanted me to restore my phone but after stating my case, he asked another genius who said to go ahead and replace it. He checked the sensors for water damage and read some diagnostic info off the phone. Said there was a lot of resets in the modem. Anyway, two days now with no sim error. So far so good.