No sim card installed message

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by -aggie-, Aug 8, 2009.

1. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Tonight I got the message "no sim card installed" for no reason. I had been using the phone fine all day and happened to look at my phone and see that it had that message. Anyway, I rebooted the phone and the message is gone and everything works fine now. Has this happened to anyone?

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    It might have just been a random bug. Is your phone jailbroken/unlocked?

3. -aggie- thread starter macrumors P6

-aggie-

Nope. OS 3.0.1 on a 3G.

4. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

I have had this about 3 times in the last 12 months
    When it last happened (about 5 months ago) I took the sim out and gave it a clean, so far I haven't seen the message again

I was wondering whether small bits of dirt can get into the sim tray

5. jhoc macrumors newbie

I go through phases with this too, I need to power down, pull sim/replace and reboot. Makes me think the tray is warped or something is in there. Been a month plus without it though. I carry a paper clip in my wallet now afrer being stuck a couple of times.

I used to get a 'different sim detected' message which required it to plug into itunes again, but now it is just the 'no sim' one.

got to book my Nth trip to the genius bar, just can't be asked.

6. GirliPhone macrumors newbie

I live in the SF Bay area, which has notoriously bad 3G network service, and my iPhone is about 9 months old. I went to sleep listening to music on my iPhone and woke up to the "No SIM installed" message.

I'm in favor of starting with the least invasive solutions first, so I did a few hard reboots. It didn't work.

I read about resetting network connections as a solution and was about to do that next when I read somewhere to try putting the phone into "Airplane Mode" and doing a hard reboot, then taking it off "Airplane Mode". THIS WORKED for me. As soon as I took it off "Airplane Mode" it redetected the network.

7. Storm Shadow macrumors regular

I had this problem and it wouldnt go away. It just randomly started happening the other day. I had the SIM tested by O2 and it was working fine so booked an appointment with an Apple Genius and they replaced the handset there and then - the genius thought the SIM reader may have been faulty.

I dont know if maybe this is a larger problem and perhaps mine just died completely whereas others may just have temperamental SIM readers.