No Sim Card Installed?????

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by GARTH118, Feb 15, 2010.

1. GARTH118 macrumors newbie

I have just bought a second hand 16gb iphone 3g. I have inserted a 3g pay and go sim card but all i am getting is the screen saying 'No sim card inserted. Insert a valid sim with no PIN lock to activate iphone.'
    It says no sim in top left corner, keypad locked in centre at top, i tunes symbol below, and slide for emergency at the bottom. I can not do anything with it.

I have tried resetting it by holding home and sleep buttons but it starts back up with the same screen as detailed.
    I have plugged it into USB and accessed DCIM which doesn't show anything at all.
    Any ideas on how i can get this up and running would be greatly appreciated.

2. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

3. GARTH118 thread starter macrumors newbie

This is the first iphone I have had. Can you advise how I do this please.

4. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

well you can do this one of three ways.
    1. plug the iphone into itunes, go to the iphone selection on the left sidebar. in the near right area of the summary tab, it should say restore. click it. if itunes doesnt recognize the phone move onto step 2 and 3.
    2. put it in recovery mode, by unplugging the phone from itunes, hold the top button, then sliding to power off. get ready to push the home button (the one with that white square inside, a circular button on the screen), then immediately as the charger is plugged into the phone, hold down the home button until itunes pops up saying it discovered an iphone in recovery mode. click okay, then click restore.
    3. put it in dfu mode, by turn the device completely off while its plugged into itunes. hold the power and home button simultaneously for exactly 10 seconds, then release the power button but keep holding the home button until itunes pops up saying it detected a phone in recovery mode. the phone's screen should be black, but thats what its supposed to do. click okay on itunes, then click restore.

if the problem persists after a restore, then reread the item description where you bought it. it could have a defect, and if so, you can take it to apple for a refurb. good luck and i hope it works out for you.

5. GARTH118 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you very much for you help on this. I have finally managed to do #3 and got it up and running.
    Thanks again for the very fast response.

6. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

7. GARTH118 thread starter macrumors newbie

I now have a new sim card problem with my iphone and wondered if anyone else has had the same problem or knows what i can do to sort it.

My phone is saying no sim card but if i press and hold the sim card holder firmly to the phone it recognises it.

Thank you

8. CupertinoiPhone macrumors member

Open the iPhone - it is a hardware Connection issue

Since you said if you press it firmly then the SIM is recognized.

Open up the iPhone by taking out the two bottom screws and Suction Cup, look up on ifixit for instructions.

Do not remove any connectors # 1, 2 or 3.
    Try pressing the SIM from the top after opening & if it recognizes the SIM.

If it works, just put some cushion on the steel section of the SIM tray & you should be good. You can try paper as a cushion.

-Ganesh

9. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

no!!!!!!! dont do that. OP, go on ebay, and buy a new sim tray. it may fix it and it may not fix it. also if it doesnt work, try putting in a friends sim card. if that doesnt work, you can take it to apple, and show them and see if they can fix it. tell them you dont want to be updated to 3.1.3 because you've heard many rumors of bad things with it.

EDIT: ignore the thing about updating, they can update you. i was getting confused with your thread and someone else's for jailbreaking and unlocking. you said you have an at&t prepaid sim card in there, which is fine, and is recognized by the phone and wont void your warranty. my suggestion is to just take it to apple right away. see what they can do for you.

10. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

See, you aren't typing like an adult. No adult types "no!!!!!!!" Also, why make the OP WASTE MONEY on a new sim card tray. Its very unlikely that it is the tray's issue. And LYING to apple about non existing problems with 3.1.3? What a joke. It's Apple's policy to only offer support to those with the latest and greatest firmware. It may be a sim card issue, but the idea of pressing down to make sure the sim card makes contacts like iPhone repair said, is a good idea. Of th 3G, I've had issues with cable 1 or the display cable staying connected to the logic board, but it seems fixed on the 3GS.