No SIM detected

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by fireshot91, Dec 22, 2009.

1. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

So, this has happened fairly often enough for me to know there's a problem.

I was just texting yesterday, and all of a sudden I get no service, and it doesn't show the AT&T "sign", and then I get a pop-up saying "No SIM Detected". A simple restart fixes it.

This also happened the day before. It happens, whenever it does occur, about once a day. And always a simple restart fixes it. This happened about 4-5 times so far. I told one of my friends who has the First Gen, and she had it happen once to her also (After I told her the first time).

I have a 3GS running 3.1.2 on AT&T. ...Now that I think about it, could it be a tower problem, since it always happens either at my house or at school (Which is a 8-10 minute walk, so I'm sure it's in the same tower?)

2. fireshot91 thread starter macrumors 601

fireshot91

Okay, it just did it again right now. :confused:.

Happening to anybody else?

3. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Have you taken the card out, wiped it off, and shot some compressed air in the slot?

It might have some dust or something getting between the connection points.

EDIT: And I live remarkably close to you - zip code 22153 - and I've never seen that happen so I don't think the towers are to blame.

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I had that happen in DC area. It was a cell tower obviously, since I didn't take out or clean the sim. After a day it never happened again.

5. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I don't understand that because I've been in places with NO cell service and the phone can talk to the SIM card just fine. So what could a tower be doing to disrupt the connection?

I lose signal often enough, but it never tells me the SIM card is missing except for when I actually remove it from the phone.

6. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

A cell tower cannot be responsible for your phone physically losing electrical contact with your SIM. It's not a tower problem.

To the OP: If it happens again, go to an AT&T store and get the SIM replaced.

7. fireshot91 thread starter macrumors 601

fireshot91

8. xanatos macrumors regular

Simpliedt solution
    go to AT&T store and have them give you a new sim. For free

happened to me couple of months ago. Did a restore and all that crap. AT&T reps didn't know why of course. Told em swap out my sim and it was good as new

9. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Had this happen on other phones with ATT. Its a problem with the SIM card. Just go to ATT and get it replaced for free.

10. fireshot91 thread starter macrumors 601

fireshot91

It happened again today, and I didn't notice it until somebody called me a couple of times and it went straight to voicemail. They knew I was with my mom, so they called her right after, and told me. So I checked my phone, and, yupp, No SIM installed/detected.

This time, a restart didn't fix it. I had to physically take out the SIM card and put it back...

You think AT&T will ship me one, I mean it's only a SIM card....

11. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

No, you'll need to go to the AT&T store.

12. fireshot91 thread starter macrumors 601

fireshot91

Clearly, it was worth a try.

They're sending me a SIM card. I didn't even call them, I used the Live chat option on wireless.att.com.

13. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Wow, I'm surprised they would do that without seeing the phone first.

14. fireshot91 thread starter macrumors 601

fireshot91

I had doubts, but if it took all but 10 minutes of my time, and it worked out, it was worth it.