No SIM error message

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by i11i1i, Jan 3, 2011.

1. i11i1i macrumors regular

Hey guys,

Today alone, I've had to reboot my iPhone 4 a dozen times because a "no SIM" message keeps popping up. I'm running iOS 4.1. It happens when I'm on the phone, using the web and when the phone is inactive on my desk.

I had this issue when I first got the phone and AT&T replaced my SIM card twice.

Any idea what causes this? I plan on going to an Apple Store tomorrow to get it looked at, but if they end up swapping my phone, will I be able to jailbreak the iOS loaded on there?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Take out the sim and make sure it sits tight on the sim tray.
    If it keeps doing it you will have to get it replaced.
    If you get a replacement with 4.2.1 you will be stuck with a tethered JB for now. If you get 4.1 you're good.

3. OverSpun macrumors 6502a

OverSpun

Weird.. I just opened this forum about 'no sim' issues, because my ip4 keeps dropping to no sim so I restarted it 5x and sometimes it says no sim and then comes back on it's own. I'm on 4.0.1 still.

4. i11i1i thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I've had it replaced over and over again. It's happened during enough of my calls today that I suspect the fine people at Apple will see how many dropped calls I've had and just swap it out.

I forget...what's the difference between tethered JB and non-tethered? Will I still be able to use pkgbackup to basically re-create the situation I have now? Or will I be starting over?

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, you can still use pkgbackup.
    A tethered jailbreak means that each time your device loses battery power or needs to be rebooted, you must attach it to a PC or Mac to boot into the jailbroken state.

6. i11i1i thread starter macrumors regular

Wow. That sounds pretty awful. I guess if I keep the battery above 10 percent and don't drop it in a lake though, I should be okay as far as the tethering necessity.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced